Scanner used by public safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobsmith

Do any public safety agencies still carry scanners/and or mobile scanner to monitor radio traffic? If so, what do they mostly use? I've noticed mostly Uniden is used for public safety. Thanks!

KJ6HCB

Many many CHP units used to (and some still do) have the Uniden BC780XLT. Ive also seen the BC560XLT, and of course the original, the MR8100s.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
We use the BCT15x's here. Have about 400+ deployed, but mostly in Citizen Watch vehicles.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Fewer and fewer public safety agencies use scanners. Some responders will use their own scanners.

Most will scan with their two-ways, plus with more and more agencies going onto large-area trunked systems, they are already on the same system.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I know a few FHP troopers use scanners "unofficially" because their system is a nightmare when it comes to interoperability.

Worked the other way around when I was a dispatcher....

"Radio, do we know why we have a half dozen troopers running code down the interstate?"
"Stand by, we'll have a call taker give them a ring."
*10 minutes later*
"They're pursuing a homicide suspect, but they're already in the next county."

timkilbride

Database Admin
The state patrol in Iowa does. Not sure on the model, but in recent years they have switched from a 5/8 wave VHF antenna to a tri-band antenna so they can listen to more counties as everything is going there own way now. Iowa was all VHF-Hi analog for a number of years. Now we got PS on VHF analog/P25, UHF conventional, 800 conventional, 800 P25, and operating on private 800 systems. Where I grew up, nobody had scanners, every had everyone else's OPS channels in their radio. Where I'm at now, they have scanners and some of the officers have to buy their own if they want one.

Tim

SCPD

QRT
Here in South Dakota Highway Patrol and Game Fish and Parks carries the Radio Shack Pro 197. Most of the state is on VHF digital Motorola type 2 smartzone trunked system, but some counties either have agencies that havent bought the radios because of cost, but most counties/agencies that are without the digital radios becuase they dont have decent tower reception

GrumpyGuard

The California Highway Patrol is installing PSR 600 scanners in there patrol vehicles. This is part of a report that was put out by the California Radio Consortium of the 13 state police agencies.

car55

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
I would think it would mostly be in rural areas or in places that allow you to take it in car when you done work.There is a myth on TV that taxi cab drivers and state troopers are the only one that seem to do this!!

But now with use of the cell phone and laptop use many PD are not using their radio much other than priority E and priority 1 calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.