Scanner will not Mount Drive in Mass Storage Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

I have a BCD436HP that work's perfectly. But I have computer that doesn't.

So far the scanner has mounted correctly on every Windows machine I have ever tried it on. My problem is it will not mount on a brand new Microsoft Surface Pro 2.

I have tried it as both a standard user and administrator.
I have tried and successfully mounted other flash media on the Surface Pro 2 (SF2).
I have tried using a USB hub between the scanner and SF2.
I have tried different cables, all cables work on the other computers.
If I remove the microSD from the scanner and use the built in microSD reader in the SF2 the media mounts as expected.

Logged in as administrator and going into disk management does not show an unmounted volume.

Anyone have some pointers?

Hit_Factor

Yes, the serial drivers are loaded. But those only come into play if I want to use the serial functions.

Those drivers came out after I received the scanner. It mounted on other computers without the serial drivers installed.

Maybe you are not referring to the serial drivers and I have run out to left field with your suggestion.

Hit_Factor

Additional information :

I just plugged the scanner into a friends computer that has never seen a product from uniden before and it mounted right away. This is as expected. I'm pretty sure usb mode on the scanner is a simple pass through expecting the host computer to provide removable flash media support.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Additional information :

I just plugged the scanner into a friends computer that has never seen a product from uniden before and it mounted right away. This is as expected. I'm pretty sure usb mode on the scanner is a simple pass through expecting the host computer to provide removable flash media support.

Do tablets only support internal memory? (no external drives are possible).

I think the x36HP radios and the HP-1 are recognized by computers as just another drive so no additional software is required.

Hit_Factor

This tablet works with all internal or external devices (save the scanner).

It runs Windows 8.1 pro. This tablet (it's really a full computer in tablet form) has mounted everything else I have on hand. FYI, my previous tablet, a surface pro (1) worked just fine.

Additional information : I checked event viewer and there are no entries regarding the scanner.

Hit_Factor

I can confirm serial drivers are installed and working to the extent that the arc536 beta provides.

Device manager is fully functional and no usb device related to the media in the scanner is listed. Disk manager doesn't show unmounted volumes either.

This is a full computer, it just happens to look like a tablet.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
This is a full computer, it just happens to look like a tablet.

I know. I want one of these for that reason.

Have you tried having the scanner plugged in with the cable and turned it off and on to see if it catches it? Have you done the same with the tablet?

Just trying to see if there is a way to kick start it.

If it does not bring it up it might need some other type of "driver" to get it to be recognized. There might be something with the "mobile" version of Windows 8.1.

Hit_Factor

Yeah, I tried booting with the scanner already in mode, not in mode.

I used a hp document scanner on the SP2 yesterday, no problems.

This isn't a mobile version of windows, that's what the non-pro models use. This is the full blown Windows 8.1 with all the high end options for cyber security and corporate environments.

Just fyi, I was an IT manager for 18 years and cyber security for the 3 years following.

I have searched google and there is very little info about SP2 problems not relating to the firmware debacle last December.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
What about other devices, such as thumb drives or a camera? Does the tablet recognize those?

I have a laptop that came with Windows 8, but I "downgraded" it to Windows 7 Ultimate because I already had a full version of it and not the crippled Windows 8 "Home" that I got with the laptop. Maybe it's worth trying - I don't know if the SF2 can run Windows 7 or not. It may need specific drivers that are only available on Windows 8.

-AZ

Hit_Factor

So far i have used...

Thumbdrives, flash drives, hard drives, printers and document scanners with this computer.

Downgrading to win7 is not an option with this device.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Weird. It's got me stumped. What about other Windows tablets? Try taking the scanner into a Best Buy or something and plug it into one of the demo units to see what happens. It also might be some of that cyber security stuff you mentioned you have running that is preventing it from recognizing the scanner. Is there a way to turn that stuff off temporarily to see?

-AZ

Hit_Factor

I didn't enable the cyber or TPM services.

There would be event log entries if security was blocking the mount.

Best Buy is an idea, I need some stuff there anyway. I guess if it works on the demo I have a problem specific to my unit. If it doesn't work it could be model specific.

I haven't tried my old surface pro since the 436 firmware update, so I should try it out again.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I didn't enable the cyber or TPM services.

There would be event log entries if security was blocking the mount.

Best Buy is an idea, I need some stuff there anyway. I guess if it works on the demo I have a problem specific to my unit. If it doesn't work it could be model specific.

I haven't tried my old surface pro since the 436 firmware update, so I should try it out again.

Are the Uniden drivers unsigned? If so, Windows 8 64bit will block their installation by default. I can see the 436 Mass Storage Device on my Surface Pro 1 Windows 8.1 64bit, but I have enforcement of driver signing disabled - which I had done previously for, coincidentally, installing GRE drivers.

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

Drivers are fine, those are for serial comm for apps like arc536, not for mounting usb volume. Lot's of us had scanners before the serial driver was released.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Curious if it shows up in Device Manager (in the USB section) when you plug it in, then removes itself when unplugged.

Hit_Factor

Negative Maus, looked for that.

Just tried it in my older SP1, it still works. So firmware upgrade is unlikely to have affected the mass storage function.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Negative Maus, looked for that.

Just tried it in my older SP1, it still works. So firmware upgrade is unlikely to have affected the mass storage function.

Have you tried both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports for the scanner? I have read that some USB 3.0 ports are not 100% backwards compatible.

I assume you have plenty of unassigned drive letters?

Since your scanner is recognized by other computers this would suggest that the scanner and USB cable are both OK.

Is your "security setting" at medium or lower?

As you can tell I am "grasping at straws" here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.