Scanner will not Mount Drive in Mass Storage Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Have you formatted the card using a USB 3.0?

I remember helping another member with a SD card that was not being read on his PC. The cause was he was not using a correct adapter for the USB 2.0 to work with a 3.0 card. I had this issue also.

Other than the USB 3.0 idea I think something is missing on the new tablet itself. Especially since it works on the older model Surface.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Negative Maus, looked for that.

Just tried it in my older SP1, it still works. So firmware upgrade is unlikely to have affected the mass storage function.

That suggests that the MS USB driver is not functioning correctly. You could uninstall the MS Mass Storage Device (USBSTOR.SYS,) and see what happens when you plug in the scanner again. BTW, are other USB MSD working using the USB port?

Hit_Factor

Yes, all other external drives work on this port. I have several external USB hard drives, flash, etc, everyone I have tried works except the 436. Everything else I have tried works on USB document scanners, printers. The SP2 only has one USB port, I have tried it with and without a hub.

I can put the microSD in a card reader and read it on the sole USB port.

For grins and giggles I put the original microSD card back in the scanner (class 4) just to check. No luck same results as the class 10 card I currently use.

Repairing USBSTOR.SYS includes methods where you identify which device is malf'ing and then searching it up in the registry buy ID number. This doesn't show in disk manager (mounted or unmounted). It doesn't show in device manager. It's never received an ID number. I'm reticent to try more drastic measures at this time.

This really has me stumped.

I'm going to keep reading up on USBSTOR.SYS, there could be something there. I'm also going to hunt through the INF files and maybe edit by hand.

Hit_Factor

Thanks Maus

I picked this out of the trace ETW_EVENT_DEVICE_QUALIFIER_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE: Request for Device Qualifier Failed.

1> it probably means in this case Windows was unable to find a driver for the device, and the device did not report a device description string. The device will have a code 28 in Device Manager. To resolve this problem you will need to find a compatible driver for the device, typically by contacting the device’s manufacturer.

(i'll need to run the trace on another computer to see if descriptor is present) Surface Pro 2 might be enforcing descriptor where other systems are not in the BIOS.

2>I can uninstall USB drivers and all root hubs and let them re-install. I'm not sold on this working.

FYI - the first link - (reset BIOS), no go.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, I bought a SanDisk 32G uSD card, reformatted it according to the instructions elsewhere in these threads (with the industry formatting program), and plugged my 436 into my Surface Pro 2 with the supplied USB cable, and it works fine.

Hit_Factor

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

If i put the MicroSD into an reader on my sp2 it mounts, just not when in the scanner. This leads me to believe the problem is cables or the scanner. Since multiple cables lay about the house and they all work with the scanner on my desktop I'm leaning toward the scanner first snd then the sp2.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I had the same issue and stumbled across a potential solution.

When selecting Mass Storage mode on the scanner, I noticed a device appears in Device Manager under Ports, with an exclamation point on it. After trying several things, I decided to uninstall that device, including drivers. After re-plugging it in again and selecting Mass Storage, the device mounted without issue.

I had also followed the advice here:

Help! After installing Windows 8.1, my USB drive disappears or file transfers stop unexpectedly

But it didn't work at first. I'm unsure if that needs to be done as well.

Hit_Factor

belvdr

That allowed the scanner to mount in USB mass storage mode. Thanks - you the man.

So what's happening is the serial driver is interfering some how with the USB.

I worked through all the power management, rebooted, scanner still mounted. I re-installed the serial driver and it all stopped working again. So the power management does not seem to be the issue.

Well, at least I can use Sentinel but not the VC in arc536. arc536 (version .89 build 14) has security issues at this time and I'm trying to resolve that with the author.

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

Finally - Success.

UPman posted a link to drivers in another thread from a company named Prolific.

Products

These drivers worked allowing both serial and mass storage mode with my 436 on a Surface Pro 2.

I have not experienced the switch from serial to mass storage mode that several users have reported. These drivers might help with that problem as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.