Scanner with that does CB SSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
I am just curious: What scanners will receive the CB band in SSB?

(Can I edit the title of this post?)

bharvey2

Most of the programmable scanners that I've seen can receive CB in AM mode. I've never seen one that does SSB however. Sometimes SSB can be a moving target (hence the clarifier knob on a CB)

jonwienke

The clarifier requirement (frequency fine-tune) for correctly receiving SSB is why scanners generally don't bother with SSB. Getting it adjusted so received voice has correct pitch is not an easy process to automate. Plus, you'd have to modify the scanner PLL to adjust in maybe 10Hz increments instead of 2.5KHz increments. The manufacturers probably figure it isn't worth the extra expense and hassle for the limited demand for SSB RX.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While there are no scanners per se that do sideband, radios like the recently discontinued Icom R20 and the AOR-8600 do.

The other side of this coin is that most scanner antennas are rather inefficient in the CB band. With just a little whip on the R20, for example, your chances of hearing anything are very slim. Better with a discone (but even there, not very efficient).

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.