Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermit248

I'm lookin to buy a new scanner but have so many questions. The biggest is which one to buy. I have been out of the scanner world for some time but am erger to get back, but there are so many. I would like it to be hand held. email me at hermit248@msn.com

thanks to all
hermit248 Dave

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
I'm lookin to buy a new scanner but have so many questions. The biggest is which one to buy. I have been out of the scanner world for some time but am erger to get back, but there are so many. I would like it to be hand held. email me at hermit248@msn.com

thanks to all
hermit248 Dave

Hello Dave,

In order to better facilitate your needs, we are going to need additional information. Although, writing to tell us that you wish to purchase a new scanner and dive into the hobby is great, I'm afraid that won't be enough to help us help you.

First, tell us where you will be using the scanner mostly. As in the state, county and cities you plan to monitor. Also tell us what agencies your interested in monitoring. We ask you these questions, because scanner requirements are different from place to place. While a conventional analog scanner might work for someone in one location, a trunking scanner, or even a digital scanner may be required for another.

Since you did specify the fact that you wanted a handheld model, that will be easy to provide you once we learn what it is you wish to monitor and the areas you wish to monitor in.

-Rylak

poppafred

I really like my GRE PSR-500. Added the GRE 800 duckie and I can listen to just about anything in my area, which a real hodge-podge of signals from analog to digital trunking. I had thought about the PSR-800 with the RR data base on an SD card but the info changes so fast, it would have to be updated constantly anyway. 500 costs a little less but has the same great quality.

msradell

I had thought about the PSR-800 with the RR data base on an SD card but the info changes so fast, it would have to be updated constantly anyway.
Constantly changing information is a good reason to get the 800! It's much simpler to update everything in it than it is the 500.

lep

My small contribution...I sold my PSR 500 last week and bought a second HP-1. My local systems include turnking:analog Smart zone and a P25 phase 1 plus some conventional VHF and UHF stuff.
I was never comfortable with programming the 500, probably my own limitations since I was more accustomed to Uniden DMA scanners. I briefly considered the PSR 800 but finally decided against it because of Forum complaints about the quality control on some mechanical aspects. With the Uniden mirror of RR.com db there is no problem with keeping the data uptodate (weekly for me is a little bit of overkill, any changes to RR.com of systems within my monitoring range probably came from me or my friends in the first place)

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
I use the Pro-197 and it is a nice scanner with many features to it. Very hard to program, unless you have the cable and software. but after its programmed, it is a very nice scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.