ScannerCast, Now Available in TWO FLAVORS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Good news! A special version of ScannerCast is now the Official Feed Broadcast software of Radio Reference, and is being supplied to new feed providers for their use. In addition, existing feed providers are welcome to change to ScannerCast from the older Oddcast/Edcast.

I'm soooo proud! :)

Anyhow, as part of this change, there are now two versions of ScannerCast, each with a slightly different control layout and different capabilities:

• ScannerCast RR Edition

This is a new version of ScannerCast distributed by RR (under license) to feed providers directly from Radio Reference. It has an interface that's tailored to helping folks get their feed online with RR as quickly and easily as possible. As such, it does not include local server capability (the ability to connect directly to ScannerCast, not through RR) or other advanced features. We expect changes to this version of ScannerCast to be made relatively infrequently.

• ScannerCast Standard Edition

This is the existing version of ScannerCast that so many folks have come to know and love, with all the same features and capabilities. This version is exclusively downloadable from my web site. I'll continue to actively enhance and update this version, just as I have been since its inception.

Hope that's not too very confusing! Anyhow, I wanted to share the news and let you know what's happening!

Peter
K1PGV

Last edited:

sjgostovich

Is there any way to get the RR scannercast software to function on my older laptop? I would like to use it soley for my feed, but it dosen't seem to want to work. any suggestions/hints?

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I just wanted to say its been a pleasure working with peter on this project. Im finally glad we got a reliable official software for RR. Now i dont have to sound like a broken record every time someone has issues with Oddcast:). Congrats. Peter.

steele_lpd

My feed is using a BC796D. I was using the Oddcast encoder and Talkgroup Monitor to send the alpha tags. I like ScannerCast so far but I can't seem to get the program to send alpha tags. Is there a way to send the tags with the 796D?

mdulrich

Feed Provider
My feed is using a BC796D. I was using the Oddcast encoder and Talkgroup Monitor to send the alpha tags. I like ScannerCast so far but I can't seem to get the program to send alpha tags. Is there a way to send the tags with the 796D?

ScannerCast will only do alpha tags for the listed scanners. Peter has stated that he is planning to add alpha tags for additional scanners, but that it wouldn't be until 2.0. I'm in the same boat as you with my 250D.

Mike

Good news! A special version of ScannerCast is now the Official Feed Broadcast software of Radio Reference, and is being supplied to new feed providers for their use. In addition, existing feed providers are welcome to change to ScannerCast from the older Oddcast/Edcast.

I'm soooo proud! :)

Anyhow, as part of this change, there are now two versions of ScannerCast, each with a slightly different control layout and different capabilities:

• ScannerCast RR Edition

This is a new version of ScannerCast distributed by RR (under license) to feed providers directly from Radio Reference. It has an interface that's tailored to helping folks get their feed online with RR as quickly and easily as possible. As such, it does not include local server capability (the ability to connect directly to ScannerCast, not through RR) or other advanced features. We expect changes to this version of ScannerCast to be made relatively infrequently.

• ScannerCast Standard Edition

This is the existing version of ScannerCast that so many folks have come to know and love, with all the same features and capabilities. This version is exclusively downloadable from my web site. I'll continue to actively enhance and update this version, just as I have been since its inception.

Hope that's not too very confusing! Anyhow, I wanted to share the news and let you know what's happening!

Peter
K1PGV

Does this version support Alpha Tags for the Pro-107?

Thanks
Greg V

steele_lpd

ScannerCast will only do alpha tags for the listed scanners. Peter has stated that he is planning to add alpha tags for additional scanners, but that it wouldn't be until 2.0. I'm in the same boat as you with my 250D.

Mike

Do you know if Talkgroup Monitor can be configured to transmit the alpha tags if I'm using ScannerCast as the encoder? I am running Talkgroup Monitor and the tags are going through... however the timing seems to be way off.

Last edited:

guitarbrian30

awesome

Thanks I have been using Scannercast as my feed program.

Awesome that you can not suspend the "alpha tags" then I can do some logging of the data :)

Thanks again for your hard work.

On a good note. I have no program issues. stalling, blue screen, or memory errors. Well written program. Thanks my computer loves it! Win XP media edition

PeterGV

K1PGV
Does this version support Alpha Tags for the Pro-107?

Nope! The command response sent by a Pro-107 is not the same as a Pro-106, apparently. Sorry.

Do you know if Talkgroup Monitor can be configured to transmit the alpha tags if I'm using ScannerCast as the encoder

Yes, I do know... and no it can not.

GRE Pro-500/600 family or BCT-15 or exact RS equivalent or Uniden 396/996 family are the ony scanners that any version of ScannerCast supports for tag retrieval.

Support for more scanner models (and all sorts of other cool stuff) is coming in V2.0, but that is quite a long way away I'm afraid.

Peter
K1PGV

Nope! The command response sent by a Pro-107 is not the same as a Pro-106, apparently. Sorry.

Yes, I do know... and no it can not.

GRE Pro-500/600 family or BCT-15 or exact RS equivalent or Uniden 396/996 family are the ony scanners that any version of ScannerCast supports for tag retrieval.

Support for more scanner models (and all sorts of other cool stuff) is coming in V2.0, but that is quite a long way away I'm afraid.

Peter
K1PGV

Is there any way this can happen faster if donations were involved? (Alpha Tags for Pro-107)

PeterGV

K1PGV
Is there any way this can happen faster if donations were involved? (Alpha Tags for Pro-107)

Heartily LOL... In my real life, I'm the founder of and senior partner at a software consulting firm. I mention this only to prove, beyond any glimmer or shadow of a doubt, that I can be bought.

So, yes! For the right price I will have it working by 9AM local time (whatever your local time is, in fact!). Of course, "the right price" is quite a bit more than the cost of a Hyundai Elantra, but quite a bit less than that of a Toyota Landcruiser. :)

In all seriousness, however, I've posted a question in the Radio Shack scanner section here at RR. I don't know if the right folks will see it, or if they'll answer it.

If you can capture several examples of the actual DATA exchanged between ScannerCast and the Pro-107 (for example, via a serial port monitor), when it's sitting on a channel and several other examples when it's not, that would be very helpful.

From either your data or the reply I get in the Radio Shack section, I'll be able to tell you whether supporting the Pro-107 would require a tweak or a serious programming exercise. I suspect the former, but...

I admire you for your tennacity, Greg. Seriously. It's a good thing.

Peter
K1PGV

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I downloaded and installed the RR version of Scannercast for both of my feeds yesterday, and it went very well.
The ONLY thing I miss (and this may be in the works for future versions) is the "vu" meter that Oddcast had. That feature made it easy to get the volume adjusted to the optimal level. Adding that would make an already very fine product even better..

NYRHKY94

Hi Paul:

I know this thread is about ScannerCast, but you can use Proscan to send tags from your 796D to RR and get rid of the other two programs (Oddcast/TGM). It has the same automated configuration to the RR site. Just wanted to share this until Peter gets around to supporting the 796D (if he has plans to).

P.S. I LOVE Peter's program and hav been using since day one.

PeterGV

K1PGV
The ONLY thing I miss (and this may be in the works for future versions) is the "vu" meter that Oddcast had. That feature made it easy to get the volume adjusted to the optimal level. Adding that would make an already very fine product even better..

Thanks for the nice comments about ScannerCast.

I agree! Addition of a VU meter is definitely planned for addition to ScannerCast. It was one of Gordon's original suggestions, and still a very important one I think.

Peter
K1PGV

mrkelso

The RR version has been running since day 1 with Zero problems and sounding good. just a few minor soundcard adjustments were needed and off we went.

Thanks for the great job.

hacksaw

Premium Subscriber
Pat on the back!

Easy setup, just worked. Tags/comport was easy to set up. I don't miss TGM :)

I would like to see tag info dumped into the detailed diag log, or better a seperate optional log.
+1 for a small thin VU

BCT15 has no problems. Thanks!! For once I was lucky and have a scanner that is actually supported LOL!!

Last edited:

RolnCode3

Working well on one of my feeds. My pair of BC246T's wait expectantly for the possibility they'll get to stream tags again! Thanks for the hard work - very easy to setup and use.

Status
Not open for further replies.