ScannerCast Plaintext Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selanda

Ancient Something or Other
Just noticed as I was setting up the RR Edition of ScannerCast that the password is displayed in plaintext instead of ********.

I have V0.13 (1224).

I noticed that once my feed was up and running the password changed back into masked ********. Still is a problem between opening the application and actually starting the feed in the event there are shoulder-surfers. Might want to consider just making it full time masked?

Last edited:

PeterGV

K1PGV
Ah! But that's not how it actually works!

When you INITIALLY ENTER the password it's in plain text. You then start your feed -- When your feed is started successfully, your feed parameters (including your encrypted password) are stored in your INI file.

When you subsequently run ScannerCast, you'll see the password shows up as stars, not plain text.

If you're running ScannerCast is an environment where even entering your password ONCE in plain text and having it shown on the screen ONE TIME is considered too dangerous, I'd suggest you need to rethink being in that environment. Note that your password is exchanged with RR across the network in the clear, so anybody running, say... WireShark, will be able to get it.

Peter
K1PGV

Selanda

Ancient Something or Other
Understood. I was just caught off guard that it let me see what I typed plaintext-style. I'm used to programs automatically masking my entry as I type. Nothing major, just wanted to make sure that was known in case it was an oversight =)

PeterGV

K1PGV
Thanks! My goal was to try to make things as easy as possible for folks.

I don't like those "you type the characters and stars get displayed" boxes myself. I'm never sure what I typed is correct :)

Always happy to get feedback,

Peter
K1PGV

Status
Not open for further replies.