• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ScannerMaster Now Carries Unication

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
What? You are very confused! I travel a lot and would like to store in memory, the repeaters on ham bands along my routes. There are more than 128 ham band repeaters available.
I hope this clears things up for you, because my question is all about how much memory is available in the G5 and not about which device to use.

He's saying if you're just wanting to listen to ham repeaters then save your money and buy a regular analog scanner at a fraction of the cost instead. It could be that you are also needing to monitor P25 digital trunking systems, etc., though you didn't say. The Unication pagers (what this thread is about) are more of a specialty item (P25 digital trunking system pager/monitor) and not just a regular scanner. Thus his suggestion to you.

prc117f

What? You are very confused! I travel a lot and would like to store in memory, the repeaters on ham bands along my routes. There are more than 128 ham band repeaters available.
I hope this clears things up for you, because my question is all about how much memory is available in the G5 and not about which device to use.

Uniden offers portable models that will solve all your needs. The G5 is not the appropriate tool for what you are wanting to do.

Why spend money for no reason.

prc117f

Added a picture. I am ordering a second charger/base. I can just take it to work stick it in the stand, go home put it back in the home stand. :) The cool thing is the belt clip locks to the back so the radio does not fall if the stand is bumped etc.. locks it in safely. You can use it as a car stand since it takes 12v on the back via the plug and you can unscrew the base to attach a different base etc..

Attachments

• IMG_3600.jpg
    IMG_3600.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,128

gonefishn1

Uniden offers portable models that will solve all your needs. The G5 is not the appropriate tool for what you are wanting to do.

Why spend money for no reason.
Thank you PRC for your explanation. My apology. I stand corrected. You are exactly right about the Uniden scanner being less expensive.. I have one. I receive P25 very well and also the ham bands. I do like the G5 with its small size but it really seems like it should have more memory for the price tag. I thought
the G5 would be easy to take out on the road but I would need more memory. So thanks again for pointing out limitations of the G5.

prc117f

Thank you PRC for your explanation. My apology. I stand corrected. You are exactly right about the Uniden scanner being less expensive.. I have one. I receive P25 very well and also the ham bands. I do like the G5 with its small size but it really seems like it should have more memory for the price tag. I thought
the G5 would be easy to take out on the road but I would need more memory. So thanks again for pointing out limitations of the G5.

The thing about the G5 is it is a niche product for commercial users,G5 is not really a scanner it will not do things like discover new talk groups etc.. scan two P25 systems at once (ie listen to dispatch PD and LG at the same time) or scan a conventional UHF Fire channel and a P25 talk group simultaneously. It is limited in what it can do but for the target user it does what it needs to do real well.

Uniden is overall the first recommendation for general purpose scanning/monitoring use and for most folks it works well and significantly cheaper as well. One of the reasons also why the G4/G5 costs more is they are FM Intrinsically safe for use in explosive atmospheres which adds to the cost as well.

BTW: The G5 does not offer the kind of handholding,support,documentation that you would find with the Unidens. They assume the buyers already know whats involved in programming them etc.. Just like when buying a Motorola or Harris HT.

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
Will also add that they handle LSM simulcast systems better than scanners, which makes them worth the money to a number of hobbyists, despite other limitations.

The tool used will vary, depending on the problem you need to fix.

rwier

Premium Subscriber
I wonder why ScannerMaster does not allow returns on this product?

From their website: "Note: This product is non-returnable for credit"

The device was referred to as an "earpiece". If it is actually an "earbud", there may be government health/hygiene restrictions on returns?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Added a picture. I am ordering a second charger/base. I can just take it to work stick it in the stand, go home put it back in the home stand. :) The cool thing is the belt clip locks to the back so the radio does not fall if the stand is bumped etc.. locks it in safely. You can use it as a car stand since it takes 12v on the back via the plug and you can unscrew the base to attach a different base etc..

Where did you get your charger/stand, if you don't mind my asking?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The device was referred to as an "earpiece". If it is actually an "earbud", there may be government health/hygiene restrictions on returns?

The Unication G5 is not an earpiece or earbud. It is a pager. The sellers, many of them, do not accept returns because, we are assuming, they are special order items.

prc117f

Where did you get your charger/stand, if you don't mind my asking?

I bought everything through Rays Pagers since they are an Authorized dealer and offer the instant 200 off on their website for the G5. They ship super quick. on payment I got shipping notification and 3 days later it comes in. Plus you get the 2 year warranty on the G5 and 1 year on the stand. The unit I got shipped with the current firmware which was nice.

radio3353

rwier,

Could you be more specific? Where do you see the earpiece/earbud reference? The G5 is a pager. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.