• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ScannerMaster Now Carries Unication

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
For those who haven't seen, I just saw an ad indicating that ScannerMaster now carries the Unication G4 & G5 pagers/receivers:

Unication Pagers | ScannerMaster.com

(I didn't see a thread mentioning this but I apologize if it has already been mentioned - I hadn't noticed a separate Unication forum had been created so I haven't been following along since that happened.)

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
That's where I got my G5. Always have had good luck with them, and I've bought a ton of stuff there over the years.
Worth noting is I also bought the Bluetooth earpiece that's on their Unication accessories page. Like seemingly every other Bluetooth device, this one has an annoying tone at the start and end of every transmission. That said, it does seem to work better than the four other BT devices I've tried so far. The beep tone is slightly less annoying, the volume is low but stable, and it doesn't clip the first bit of speech as much as other BTs. It's far from ideal, but at least it's usable. I tried the Rockrok RORK-BR01 mentioned in another thread here, and it did not work well for me at all. That's very frustrating, I surely hope Unication can find a remedy for this Bluetooth problem.

cpetraglia

Are you using the BT to feed to an amp, or just for head phone use? I went thru over a dozen BT receiver's before I found one that works well. No noises, no missed audio, paired now for days. I had to do some simple mods to it to get rid of back round noise. Nothing more than shielding the board top and bottom. Runs on 5v and works well. PM me for more detail if interested.

Chuck

radio3353

I wonder why ScannerMaster does not allow returns on this product?

From their website: "Note: This product is non-returnable for credit"

Last edited:

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
My guess is it's a niche item for them. The probably don't stock them, but drop ship them when you place the order, and then they'd be stuck with them if you returnit.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the BT to feed to an amp, or just for head phone use? I went thru over a dozen BT receiver's before I found one that works well. No noises, no missed audio, paired now for days. I had to do some simple mods to it to get rid of back round noise. Nothing more than shielding the board top and bottom. Runs on 5v and works well. PM me for more detail if interested.

Chuck

I'm primarily looking for a good set of BT earbuds that will work properly, but I'd also love a decent external BT speaker. So far I've tried the Oontz Curve and Oontz Angle. I've had both of those for a while now. They are nice speakers and work well with other devices, but they had annoying tones and clipping with the G5. I had high hopes for that Rockrok product because it could have fed audio to an external speaker, or through the AUX jack in my car to the car stereo. But it sucked. I don't have the skill set or proper tools to mod devices like these, so I'm just hoping Unication will address the issue soon.

Last edited:

cpetraglia

From what I can tell, the BT protocol in the G4-5 is 2.1. We are now over 4.0. I would think the internal BT section would have to be re-designed to accommodate BT 4.0. Don't wait for that to happen until a whole new pager comes out. I feel your pain. Unless a FW update can address the problem, we're all stuck with what we have. I would much rather see the Phase II update come first which really should have been part of the new product when it hit the market. They wont sell many around here as most PS systems are now PII or going that way soon.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
From what I can tell, the BT protocol in the G4-5 is 2.1. We are now over 4.0. I would think the internal BT section would have to be re-designed to accommodate BT 4.0. Don't wait for that to happen until a whole new pager comes out. I feel your pain. Unless a FW update can address the problem, we're all stuck with what we have. I would much rather see the Phase II update come first which really should have been part of the new product when it hit the market. They wont sell many around here as most PS systems are now PII or going that way soon.

I read in one of the threads that someone initially had good luck with that Rockrok Bluetooth, I think until a G5 firmware update came along, and after that it didn't work right. If Unication can at least roll that part of the firmware back so that something works through Bluetooth then I'd be a lot happier. But it seems like simply modding the firmware so the radio continuously sends data to the BT device would solve this tone problem. Maybe drain the battery faster, but I'd be OK with that.

cpetraglia

I agree with your idea. That could be doable. Remember the BT was originally brought about for hands free phones. Then eventually people started streaming music. The beeps and noises wouldn't matter as long as a steady stream was transmitted to the device. I still say an earphone jack would solve the problem for my application. I heard people comment that a jack would compromise the water proof spec. What about the USB port? I am sure the rubber flap is what makes the port water proof.
That also would require a complete re-design of the pager.

prc117f

My guess is it's a niche item for them. The probably don't stock them, but drop ship them when you place the order, and then they'd be stuck with them if you returnit.

Well Unication products are not hobby items. These are commercial products just like a Motorola or Harris HT. They primarily cater to public safety/commercial users. Now they kind of accidentally ended up serving other non commercial users :)

I would recommend working with an Authorized dealer for warranty/support purposes.

Also if your buying one Just go ahead and add the G4/G5 amp/charger base. It is more convenient for charging (its a drop down like your HT charger) Plus you can run it all the time as it charges and it has great audio from its built in front facing speaker. practically turns your unit into a fixed base unit.

The beauty is you get a 2 year warranty on the radio and a 1 year on the stand.

BTW: The stand is a very high quality commercial use item. not a toy :)

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
Well Unication products are not hobby items. These are commercial products just like a Motorola or Harris HT. They primarily cater to public safety/commercial users. Now they kind of accidentally ended up serving other non commercial users :)

I would recommend working with an Authorized dealer for warranty/support purposes.

Also if your buying one Just go ahead and add the G4/G5 amp/charger base. It is more convenient for charging (its a drop down like your HT charger) Plus you can run it all the time as it charges and it has great audio from its built in front facing speaker. practically turns your unit into a fixed base unit.

The beauty is you get a 2 year warranty on the radio and a 1 year on the stand.

BTW: The stand is a very high quality commercial use item. not a toy :)

Yep, I got the G5 and the deluxe amp. I love it!

prc117f

Yep, I got the G5 and the deluxe amp. I love it!

I wonder why they never advertise the deluxe amp/stand unit on the dealer websites or even Unication's site.

I wonder what that Control port and Accessory port is for.

I am thinking that the Control port is a RS-232 port for programming?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I wonder why they never advertise the deluxe amp/stand unit on the dealer websites or even Unication's site.

I wonder what that Control port and Accessory port is for.

I am thinking that the Control port is a RS-232 port for programming?

If you have one (I'm taking it that you do), post up some pictures or a short video of it (if video, a clip of the audio when it's receiving would be good). Give us a peek at its deluxe charging base / amp'd speaker.

gonefishn1

Does the G5 receive EDACS? The write up mentions P5 and conventional. 128 channels doesn't seem like many channels for a $1000. radio. Is that really all it has?

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
Does the G5 receive EDACS? The write up mentions P5 and conventional. 128 channels doesn't seem like many channels for a $1000. radio. Is that really all it has?

EDACS, no. 128 channels sounds right, but remember, a 'channel' can be scanning a number of talkgroups or even a number of frequencies (but a frequency has to be in a channel), so 128 'slots'.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
EDACS, no. 128 channels sounds right, but remember, a 'channel' can be scanning a number of talkgroups or even a number of frequencies (but a frequency has to be in a channel), so 128 'slots'.

Let me clarify - that's for conventional. So you have 128 slots. Any conventional channel you want to listen to has to be in a 'slot', and you have 128 slots. BUT you can have a large number (don't know how many) talkgroups. And you can have 1 slot scan say 10 talkgroups.

gonefishn1

Ok, so you can assign 1 frequency to each channel. So we are limited to scanning only 128 frequencies?

That's close to the number of repeaters I have found available in Las Vegas. :)

prc117f

Ok, so you can assign 1 frequency to each channel. So we are limited to scanning only 128 frequencies?

That's close to the number of repeaters I have found available in Las Vegas. :)

Get a Uniden if you are listening to regular analog.

gonefishn1

G5

Get a Uniden if you are listening to regular analog.

What? You are very confused! I travel a lot and would like to store in memory, the repeaters on ham bands along my routes. There are more than 128 ham band repeaters available.
I hope this clears things up for you, because my question is all about how much memory is available in the G5 and not about which device to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.