ScannerMaster 'RH200' prototype at Hamvention

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Can the actual radio be powered off and on from the control head?

I've really been enjoying the remote head I got from @mancow over a year ago, and I think anyone that wants a remote head will truly enjoy it. Mine does not have an internal speaker, but the included GPS feature is a big plus for me. Mine does not turn off the radio though.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure this was "teased" to get concept feedback, so here is mine:

Nice looking product. Does power also come from Cat 5 cable or will a separate power connection be needed?

Most importantly, at least to me, what if someone is using an amplified speaker, will this remote head disable that or will there be an option to choose scanner speak or remote head speaker?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering how the display colors will work.

SDS200 - Are the colors going to be the same as on the actual scanner display? The color are set in Sentinel, as everyone knows, so will the software for the RH200 have a "display color import" function?

All scanners except the SDS200 (and SDS100) - Is there going to be a color editor in the software similar to the Sentinel Edit Display Customizer?

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
No, unfortunately there is no simple way to do that. I would connect the radio to the ignition to turn off with the vehicle, worked great with my old RH-96 setup back in the day.
That works fie with the older scanners and scanners such as the 125. But with the newer 436/ 536 and the SDS line, isn't powering it of and on in the manner bad for the card?

N9JIG

Sheriff
That works fie with the older scanners and scanners such as the 125. But with the newer 436/ 536 and the SDS line, isn't powering it of and on in the manner bad for the card?
Like JT said, turn off recording and the chances of corrupting the card is next to nil. I have been 10 years without corrupting a card on any of my 536’s and they are powered by the ignition in my car.

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
I use an SDS100- the crux here would be having to enable serial mode every time it powered on from the scanner itself.

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
I use an SDS100- the crux here would be having to enable serial mode every time it powered on from the scanner itself.
The SDS100 (and others) will default into serial port mode after a few seconds with no user input needed.
Older x36HP models needed a firmware update for this to work.

dispatchgeek

The SDS100 (and others) will default into serial port mode after a few seconds with no user input needed.
Older x36HP models needed a firmware update for this to work.
That’s good to know. Proscan frequently cannot find my SDS100 after a power cycle, even though the port remains unchanged. It usually requires me to disconnect/reconnect the SDS100 and push it into serial mode again.

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
That’s good to know. Proscan frequently cannot find my SDS100 after a power cycle, even though the port remains unchanged. It usually requires me to disconnect/reconnect the SDS100 and push it into serial mode again.
That's a good point. I always forget about this problem.
I've seen it before myself though and I've also needed to power cycle the scanner again (more than once at times) to restore serial comms with ProScan or any other software that uses Uniden's serial port driver through the USB ports interface.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
That's a good point. I always forget about this problem.
I've seen it before myself though and I've also needed to power cycle the scanner again (more than once at times) to restore serial comms with ProScan or any other software that uses Uniden's serial port driver through the USB ports interface.
I haven't seen it with just a scanner power cycle. But If the computer is rebooted then yes. The scanner stops responding to polls and the scanner needs a power cycle or the USB cable reinserted afterwards. Problem is with the 996P2 and later models. Problem doesn't occur if using a USB to serial converter on models with a rear DB-9 port.

dispatchgeek

I haven't seen it with just a scanner power cycle. But If the computer is rebooted then yes. The scanner stops responding to polls and the scanner needs a power cycle or the USB cable reinserted afterwards. Problem is with the 996P2 and later models. Problem doesn't occur if using a USB to serial converter on models with a rear DB-9 port.
I wasn't clear. This is specifically after a PC power cycle. It's an annoyance I could see occurring with the RH200/SDS100 Combo.

kodachrome

Premium Subscriber
No, unfortunately there is no simple way to do that. I would connect the radio to the ignition to turn off with the vehicle, worked great with my old RH-96 setup back in the day.

Can the actual radio be powered off and on from the control head?

I asked that very question when I saw this on Saturday and his response was 'yes'.

I'd still buy a couple even without that feature.