Scanners Aboard Commercial Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryN

South Texas DB Admin
Premium Subscriber
Not for nothing but if something does get screwed up on an airplane it is not like the pilot can just pull over to a cloud and put on his 4-way flashers! I would err on the side of caution there.

N

N_Jay

davidd2957 said:
Just flew back to New York from San Francisco today. There was way more concern about a bottle of water instead of my scanner inside my carry-on. With a set of ear-buds,
I listened to my scanner when the Captain permitted the use of laptops in flight, no problems. Discretion is the key.

David D.

There we go mixing issues.:evil: :roll: :evil:

The bottle of water is a security thing, (TSA Issue).

The scanner is an FAA issue, and as a receiver is (depending on the particular airline) not typically allowed ANYTIME the door is shut.

Discretion is always recommended when breaking rules! :roll: :roll:

AndrewC75

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cellonplanes.html

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is considering proposals that may eventually allow you to use your own cell phone or wireless data device on airplanes after take off. Currently, cell phone users generally are permitted to use their phones before takeoff and after landing. FCC rules currently ban cell phone use after a plane has taken off because of potential interference to cellular phone networks on the ground. In addition, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has rules prohibiting in-flight cell phone use because of potential interference to navigation and aircraft systems.
See link for more.

elk2370bruce

Forget all the BS rationalizations and how to beat the system. Airlines have the right, and most exercise that right, to prohibit scanners on their aircraft. How many times must this topic come up before people begin to read and comprehend? NOT TSA, NOT Homeland Security. NOT the ACLU, NOT the ARRL. JUST FORGET ABOUT IT. End of topic (at least for a while).

N

N_Jay

elk2370bruce said:
. . .How many times must this topic come up before people begin to read and comprehend? . . . .

Many, Many, Many;

Because;

You can't fix stupid!

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
elk2370bruce said:
... Airlines have the right, and most exercise that right, to prohibit scanners on their aircraft. ...
This is the kind of broad statement that causes problems. Taken by itself, that statement is completely false.

FAA regulations require the airlines to prohibit the use of Personal Electronic Devices (PED's) on aircraft in flight unless they have been shown to not interfere with aircraft avionics. That is pretty simple to understand and leaves no room for "wiggle". Why do people continue to try and read more into it than there is. Your scanner can go on the aircraft (indeed no airline has a rule against you carrying it aboard the aircraft), you just can't turn it on in flight.

N

N_Jay

loumaag said:
This is the kind of broad statement that causes problems. Taken by itself, that statement is completely false.
I think what was meant is that they have and exercise the right to not have you use scanners (or any receivers) on the plane.

loumaag said:
FAA regulations require the airlines to prohibit the use of Personal Electronic Devices (PED's) on aircraft in flight unless they have been shown to not interfere with aircraft avionics.
I don't think that is true, as it would require the prohibit almost all electronics, as they have not tested every configuration of laptop, DVD player, PDA, ect.

loumaag said:
That is pretty simple to understand and leaves no room for "wiggle".
It must have wiggle room, as I see a lot of wiggling going on, including one airline (forget which one) that has GPS in the allowed column.

loumaag said:
Why do people continue to try and read more into it than there is.
Like I said, you can't fix stupid!

loumaag said:
Your scanner can go on the aircraft (indeed no airline has a rule against you carrying it aboard the aircraft), you just can't turn it on in flight.
Well said!

N

N_Jay

toydriver_det said:
For years now this has been N Jay's favorite subject. We take turns bringing it up. My next turn I think is August of 2011.
:)

I have NEVER brought it up.:confused:

I shoot it down!:twisted: :lol: :twisted:

And thanks to Lou, I learned something new today.

toydriver_det

Premium Subscriber
N_Jay said:
I have NEVER brought it up.:confused:
I did not say you brought it up. I said we take turns bringing it to make you happy and we ALL want to make you happy.

N_Jay said:
I shoot it down!:twisted: :lol: :twisted:
YES you do. Bang Bang

N_Jay said:
And thanks to Lou, I learned something new today.
Lou was right on. My message was more in jest than anything else. Please take it that way. I just thought the old scanner on the plane thread needed some humor but I just noticed that this was in the General Scanning forum and not the Tavern.

N

N_Jay

toydriver_det said:
I did not say you brought it up. I said we take turns bringing it to make you happy and we ALL want to make you happy.

YES you do. Bang Bang

Lou was right on. My message was more in jest than anything else. Please take it that way. I just thought the old scanner on the plane thread needed some humor but I just noticed that this was in the General Scanning forum and not the Tavern.

No problem, I don't mind.

Always take my posts as humor if you don't agree with me.
That way we can maintain the saying that "ignorance is bliss":twisted: :lol: :twisted:

garys

Premium Subscriber
bwhite said:
"Explain????"
Why let people use their cell phones if the carrier can collect big-buck per minute for AirPhone use. If testing to prove cell phones are OK to use on planes the AirPhones will join the Do-Do bird (extinct).

You seem not to understand the situation. Even if the FAA, FCC, FBI, CIA, and EIEIO allowed it, the airlines could ban it. The planes are private property and as the owners the airlines can set the rules. If the government says you shall not, the airlines have no say. If the government says you may, the airlines do have a say. I don't foresee a situation where the government will say you shall allow scanners or cell phones.

Gary

N

N_Jay

garys said:
. . . Even if the FAA, FCC, FBI, CIA, and EIEIO allowed it, the airlines could ban it. . . .

You forgot one.

If the EEOC says its required, you better darn well allow it! :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Hmm, maybe we can get "need-to-scan-it-itus" defined as a crippling illness.

(Just a thought):lol: :lol: :lol:

AerialEars

N_Jay said:
Many, Many, Many;

Because;

You can't fix stupid!

Remember that some of us may have not been RR Forum readers for as long as you.

And believe me, if I'd known what was to come, I'd have never began this thread in the first place. :)

Later.

N

N_Jay

n4ull said:
Remember that some of us may have not been RR Forum readers for as long as you.

And believe me, if I'd known what was to come, I'd have never began this thread in the first place. :)

Later.

Notice, I did not use that line in reference to your post.

Only in reference to the continuing train of partially right and fully wrong posts that followed.

DavidNVA

Not to rehash an old thread, but this is one of the reasons I fly United Airlines whenever possible. On most flights they feed the ATC comms over the in-flight entertainment system so you can listen in from push back all the way to landing.

Kudos to United, wish the other majors did this!

-David

elk2370bruce

If the airline chooses to pipe in the commuications, that is their choice and under their direct and continuing control and has absolutely nothing to do with your scanner. If the airline establishes a policy, and many have done so, prohibiting scanners from being used during flight, that is their choice and their right as the owner of the private property known as the aircraft. Lou, no one has ever said that you can't have the scanner in your carry-on luggage. Frankly, my carry-on luggage has scanners, amateur radio, and other electronic two-way items on most trips longer than 72 hours. This thread, and every previous thread concerning this topic (and there have been many) still comes down to this:
You have no civil rights regarding the use of your scanner on a commercial aircraft and not even the ACLU canhelp you. Most, ( I cannot substantiate the statement "all") have clearly said a definitive NO as a matter of their policy. As the Verizon commercial says so well.... "Can you hear me now?" No way. Nope. Nada. Negat. (etc). Forget what the lavatory lawyers tell you. Frankly this is a rehash, of a rehash, of a reiteration squared on this topic and nothing has changed in any of the iterations; whether here or elsewhere. Guess what, you can't use your 2m or 70 cm transceivers either.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
........ one of the reasons I fly United Airlines whenever possible. On most flights they feed the ATC comms over the in-flight entertainment system so you can listen in from push back all the way to landing. . . . ..

I was thinking that as this thread began, Channel 9 on their selector took care of the whole question. But, USA3000 has a lot more going for it (but no in-flight coms).

Status
Not open for further replies.