Scanners Aboard Commercial Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ramsey claims you can use it on an airplane?

"Passive design, can be used onboard aircraft, no local oscillator, generates and creates no interference whatsoever!!"

elk2370bruce

N_Jay said:
Those have been around for a long time. I think I saw the plans in Popular Electronics when I was in Jr. High (or earlier).

Unfortunetly, the rule does not say "No receivers with local oscillators", it says "no receivers", so while these fix the TECHNICAL issue, they do nothing for the LEGAL issue.

Another lavatory lawyer attempt at beating the legal realities that have been detailed, ad nauseum, above and in eight earlier threads.

N

N_Jay

elk2370bruce said:
Another lavatory lawyer attempt at beating the legal realities that have been detailed, ad nauseum, above and in eight earlier threads.

No, Just pointing out the error in the previous post?:roll:

If anything, you should have taken issue with E-Man's post above.

He is letting Ramsey make a legal determination.:evil:

BTW, if you are going to use the term, it is spelled "Ad nauseam" :twisted: :twisted:

N

N_Jay

E-Man said:
Now why would you say that?
Because you said;
E-Man said:
Ramsey claims you can use it on an airplane?

"Passive design, can be used onboard aircraft, no local oscillator, generates and creates no interference whatsoever!!"

Guess, I did not notice your "?" the first time.

Last edited:

rescuecomm

Yeah, its kinda funny about some things. On one of the cruises I went on, I emailed the cruise line about bringing my dual band handietalkie and my GPS. They said yes on the ham radio, no to the GPS because of potention interference with the ships units. I left the GPS at home, took the Icom W32A, two GMRS handhelds, and a camera in the carry on. No problems with airport security or cruise line security. Unfortunately, I was unable to key the echolink two meter repeater on St. Martin with the WT so it was a wash. Did talk to one of the local on the repeater. Nice guy.

N1508J

I use the nationwide IRLRS, (Infer Red Laser Repeater System) aboard flights I take. I always sit next to a window so when I want to make a call all I have to do is hold my Infer Phone next to the window and I’m able to reach one of the many Infer Laser repeaters. Since the system uses coherent light, and is invisible, no interference to avionics or people is possible. My Infer Phone is shaped like a coffee cup, so flight attendants think I am drinking coffee and are none the wiser. The Infer Red system was developed after 9/11 as a form of secure communications that no one knew about except a select few that worked on the system. After all, if no one knows about the system, you can bet it’s secure. Have you heard about it before my post???? There you go, what more proof do you need? So I don’t ever worry about not being able to make my calls aboard my flights. Sorry bout y’all.

N

N_Jay

N1508J said:
I use the nationwide IRLRS, (Infer Red Laser Repeater System) aboard flights I take.

Wow, is "Infer Red" anything like "infrared". :roll: :roll: :roll:

n4voxgill

Silent Key
i still prefer the old tried and true way of putting a note in the bottle and then throwing it out the window, at 400 knots that sucker can go a long way.

ticoman71

Lucky me...I guess....

For the past 16 years and as of two weeks ago, the last time I was in a plane, I have never had any problems carrying and listening to my radios (scanners, Ham and even GPS unit) in the main cabin for both US and International flights. I have been asked in the past by security to turn them on, but other than that, no problems at all. I think the key is just simple discretion. What people need to see is the headphone cables, not the whole radio, otherwise, some lunatic is going to confuse you with God knows what and cause a scene....

I used to work in Avionics and the myth of PED's causing interference is simply that...a myth. I have never seen any concrete evidence of it with the exception of one time that I was testing a 2 meter handheld (5 watts out) inside a plane. Needless to say that this was done while working on the plane in the hangar, not at a gate on an active flight.....

Just my 2 pesos....

N

N_Jay

ticoman71 said:
For the past 16 years and as of two weeks ago, the last time I was in a plane, I have never had any problems carrying and listening to my radios (scanners, Ham and even GPS unit) in the main cabin for both US and International flights. I have been asked in the past by security to turn them on, but other than that, no problems at all. I think the key is just simple discretion. What people need to see is the headphone cables, not the whole radio, otherwise, some lunatic is going to confuse you with God knows what and cause a scene....

I used to work in Avionics and the myth of PED's causing interference is simply that...a myth. I have never seen any concrete evidence of it with the exception of one time that I was testing a 2 meter handheld (5 watts out) inside a plane. Needless to say that this was done while working on the plane in the hangar, not at a gate on an active flight.....

Just my 2 pesos....

If you work in avionics, then you know that "discretion" does not make it legal.

As long as people know that, then they can make their own decisions about breaking the law with "discretion".:roll:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I haven't read the whole topic but I had an idea, you can use you laptop at certain times right? what about keeping a fully charged scanner in your carry on or backpack. place it under your seat. turn on the scanner and connect it to the laptop. use headphones to listen and the laptop to control it. no one will probably question your laptop use while the scanner is in the bag unseen.

N

N_Jay

mike_s104 said:
I haven't read the whole topic but I had an idea, you can use you laptop at certain times right? what about keeping a fully charged scanner in your carry on or backpack. place it under your seat. turn on the scanner and connect it to the laptop. use headphones to listen and the laptop to control it. no one will probably question your laptop use while the scanner is in the bag unseen.

Another clever way to be discrete while doing the illegal.

K5MAR

ticoman71 said:
I used to work in Avionics and the myth of PED's causing interference is simply that...a myth. Just my 2 pesos....
Good thing for you that pesos are worth so little. According to Smithsonian Air & Space magazine, several issues back, the FAA has several documented reports of onboard PEDs interferring with aircraft navigation equipment. That is what brought the whole thing about in the first place. This isn't somebody's wild idea at the FAA, "Hey, let's ban all PEDs onboard commercial aircraft, just for the heck of it!", there were several incidents which led to the FAA decision.

Mark S.

N1508J

N_Jay
Senior Member Join Date: May 2004

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1508J
I use the nationwide IRLRS, (Infer Red Laser Repeater System) aboard flights I take.

Wow, is "Infer Red" anything like "infrared".

Nope, infer red is nowhere close to infrared. It's sorta like getting the word "there" confused with "their". It simply sounds the same. But it does use coherent radiation. The infer phone first infers the light before it's "infersion" to coherent radiation. Hence, it's inability to be detected by avionics. Since it is a 3 phase technology, each phase 120 apart, the repeaters use one circular crystal made of 98% pure quartz which has a gold film on one side and a silver film on the other. This is the most efficient way to both receive and radiate the energy of the "infer red phone" signal. So, as any fool can see, this technology will not in any way interfer with avionics. Although downgraded from top secret, it is still classified as "middle" secret so it won't go on the market yet!

stevie621

when I fly United, channel 9 will let you listen to air traffic. I am blind and have to ask people to set it for me and they always say "Why you wana listen to that for." Cause I like radio communications.

N

N_Jay

N1508J said:
Date of Birth:
May 14, 1918
Biography:
IT DON'T MAKE NO NEVERMIND, CUZ IT DON'T MATTER NO NEITHERHOW.
Interests:
COLD FUSION
AREA 52
!
OK, thanks for the edicakesion

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Well obviously this thread has drifted (and is continuing to do so) from its original topic. Since the OP's question has been answered, this is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.