Scanners and MDC - That AWFUL Squawk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
How many of you guys live in an area that uses MDC? You know, it's that annoying SWUAWK at the end/beginning of a transmission. It's great for the system because they can send status reports and emergency messages without even saying a word. They also don't have to hear that terrible squawk that MDC produces.

Motorola radios have this nifty little feature called DOS, Data Operated Squelch. It completely mutes the terrible noise and produces a small BEEP whenever an MDC sound is sent across the system.

I've found that listening to my scanners is just not as enjoyable when I'm forced to hear that SQUAWK. I'm basically forced to use one of my Motorola radios.

While I'm on the subject of features that scanners lack, Why don't they also include NAC codes for digital users?

Why can't a single scanner manufacturer make a scanner that has LOUD audio? You basically have to be driving a Lexus with the windows up to be able to hear any of the current scanners (handhelds that is).

I'm SURE there are more features, so come on guys, let's make sure the scanner manufaturers hear us loud and clear. Let's tell them what WE want. What do you say?

crazyboy

I want nuisance delete on a scanner!

Am I the only one who likes the SQUAWK?

gccflscan

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
rescue161 said:
While I'm on the subject of features that scanners lack, Why don't they also include NAC codes for digital users?

Why can't a single scanner manufacturer make a scanner that has LOUD audio? You basically have to be driving a Lexus with the windows up to be able to hear any of the current scanners (handhelds that is).

I'm SURE there are more features, so come on guys, let's make sure the scanner manufaturers hear us loud and clear. Let's tell them what WE want. What do you say?

ProVOICE (Unencrypted) EDACS Digital, dont give me the standard BS line about "not enough systems", "licensing issues," you already paid for the IMBE license for P25! and no issue if your clean room reverse engineering the framing bits. I am tired of hearing the excuses, just get it done. Just about every EDACS system in FL will within 2-3 years be 100% ProVoice!

EFJ MulitNet LTR
Passport LTR

SSB for the below 30MHz frequencies that are showing up in new units

Dual Receivers for FTO & Scan, WX Alert & Scan, Convetional on one & Trunked on one, Dual Trunking, Dual FTO

RID/LID ID decode and display and output to RS232

RID/LID following as it changes TG

Talkgroup Priority like conventional priority

Discrimintor output to jack for SSTV, fax, RTTY, EMWIN, ACARS, etc..

5/6 Tone (all tone sets), DTMF, Knox decode

ANI including GE-Star, MDC etc. for digital, along with the 5/6 & DTMF tone formats.

NC/NO contactS (with an S) on the back panel activatable by channel

Multiple antenna inputs selectable by memory slot, ie: one for UHF, one for 800, a yagi for that out of range system, etc.. 3-4 would be good.

SD/MMC cards to transfer setup from one radio to another with out a computer & software

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
crazyboy said:
I want nuisance delete on a scanner!

Am I the only one who likes the SQUAWK?

I love the SQUAWK.

I especially love decoding it. :)

As for the scanner features.. yea... hopefully when the demand is great enough, manufacturers will listen.

-Mark

kd7gxu

Premium Subscriber
While we are on the subject, does anyone know it the XTS 3000 can display MDC codes? I figured it out on the HT1250 but not on the XTS 3000. The MDC code is very cool where I live, it tells you whether the caller is Sheriff or Police and their badge number.

crazyboy

y10kiscoming said:
I love the SQUAWK.

I especially love decoding it. :)

As for the scanner features.. yea... hopefully when the demand is great enough, manufacturers will listen.

-Mark

Ah, yes decoding it is fun.

Joseph11

Download WinMDCD from this site. It works fine and is accurate. A discriminator tap is not required and I've had more sucess using speaker out.

BigEd1314

Premium Subscriber
what about fleetsync by kenwood? here where i live they use fleetsync, which i think isn't as bad as MDC, plus with fleetsync u have a 7 digit ID code, and i beleive motorola is just 4 digit...correct me if im wrong. I know my CM300 has only a 4 digit ID on it. Fleetsync i think isn't as loud as MDC also.... and with fleetsync, the way my county has it set up, i can tell what department it is, whether its a portable or mobile, or base, and what their unit number is.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I'm not saying that MDC is bad, it's very cool. That's another plus of listening on a radio that will display the packet string. My Astro Sabers are flashed so that they will display the unit number. That's all they have them set up for here. I have some messages set up between my radio that can be sent from radio to radio which is cool too.

But, on my real radios, all I hear is a "bleep" and the rest of the data is muted. It still displays everything the way that it should, but the sqauwk is not there.

Oh yeah, I'd also like to see digital ID display and Soft ID. That's even better than MDC.

vs1988

I actually prefer the MDC1200 burst.

Does anyone have a file of a fleetsync data burst? I think this is what the other chirp I'm hearing on my PD's frequency is. It sounds somewhat like the MDC1200 except not with that harsh "shhrhh". It's more like a shrill chirp.

Vince

MB

Feed Provider
Joseph11 said:
Download WinMDCD from this site. It works fine and is accurate. A discriminator tap is not required and I've had more sucess using speaker out.

Looks like a neat program, but I can't get it to log anything. I have my BC780 connected to my line in and nothing happens. I know the line in is working because I use this for Scanrec and I can hear audio comming from the PCs speakers. I have also tried mic in with no luck. Any idea on what I could be doing wrong?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I can't even get it to download. It always takes me back to the home page when I hit the "download" link...

Joseph11

Here's two recordings of Kenwood FleetSync. I believe I have them named correctly.

Attachments

• fleetsync.zip
    10.7 KB · Views: 332

kg4pbd

Thanks for the information on WinMdcd. I just installed it, nothing more than an .exe file. It works without doing anything else.

I'm just not sure what the numbers mean! What is arg? I assume the id is the system's method of identifying the radio.

I've attached a screen shot.

Attachments

• winmdcd.jpg
    winmdcd.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,886

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I like listening to the MDC squawk or GE-Star. It has a lot of useful features you can do, plus you know who is keying up even when they don’t say a thing over the air.

MB

Feed Provider
kg4pbd said:
Thanks for the information on WinMdcd. I just installed it, nothing more than an .exe file. It works without doing anything else.

I'm just not sure what the numbers mean! What is arg? I assume the id is the system's method of identifying the radio.

I've attached a screen shot.

What connection did you use on your computer? Mic or line in?

MB

Feed Provider
Does this program work with G-Star? I am wondering if the agency I am trying to decode is G-Star or MDC.

I am trying to decode the New York State Police and I can't tell if it is MDC or G-Star. Does anyone know? I know they use MA-COM radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.