Scanners and more scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiftyPotts

Hello group,

I'm reorganizing my modest listening post with a new computer and new SDR radio. I've also got my old Radio Shack Pro-2006. To save me a month of research, can someone tell me which are the "good" scanners? I suppose now there are computer controlled scanners, is that just for programming? Or can you scan on the computer?

Also, I noticed that some of you guys have LOTS of scanners. What's the purpose behind that. Are you using the individual scanners to provide online feeds? Or is there another reason to have a dozen scanners?

Thanks,

Bob

ShiftyPotts

If you monitor 12 frequencies and you don't want to miss something, you use 12 scanners with only one freq. in each one.

Thanks Dick, I'm trying to decide if I should buy one good scanner, or several used ones. I guess, for me, one good scanner is the way to go.

Bob

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Hello group,

I'm reorganizing my modest listening post with a new computer and new SDR radio. I've also got my old Radio Shack Pro-2006. To save me a month of research, can someone tell me which are the "good" scanners? I suppose now there are computer controlled scanners, is that just for programming? Or can you scan on the computer?

Also, I noticed that some of you guys have LOTS of scanners. What's the purpose behind that. Are you using the individual scanners to provide online feeds? Or is there another reason to have a dozen scanners?

Thanks,

Bob

I only need one more scanner than what I have!:lol:

ShiftyPotts

it starts with just one...

I ordered a 536HP today. I wasn't getting much for suggestions and then I read a couple threads about problems with the 536, but then other people like it. I decided to get one, if I don't like it, I'll trade it in and get something different.

Thanks,

Bob

Multiple receivers play multiple roles,,Conventional,Trunking,P25,P25 Phase2..Monitor several cities/counties simultaneously.Follow multiple agencies during developing situations.

Then there is SWL,SDR & DSD'ing..Ill routinely have between 3 to 6 radios going at once.State PD TRS,5 surrounding counties on another,State PD TRS to the south of me.SDR for airbands,or HF(from 6 to 14 mhz)..

If you like it,like tweaking and finding new systems,learning new technologies..Different Strokes For Different Folks!...Like Mr.Drummond would say...

ShiftyPotts

I've been playing with my new 536HP for a few days. Going from the Radio Shack Pro-2006 to the 536HP is like going from a horse & buggy to a Bombardier Challenger 850. It's almost like going from Windows Vista to Mac OSX.

The audio quality of the trunked systems is amazing, I had no idea. I live in Sturgis SD and this would be a quiet area by most of your big city standards. Programming favorites lists seems pretty easy, but mostly I'm listening to the full database, minus the boring services. So far, I'm just using the attached antenna, but my discone will go up in a few days.

I'm not qualified to give a real review but I could sure recommend the 536 to someone looking for a new unit.

Bob

rbm

Or is there another reason to have a dozen scanners?

Thanks,

Bob

There's no reason at all to have a dozen scanners.

I have four dozen scanners. ;) (actually a few more)

Used for 7-10 online feeds, 15-20 logging, and all the others listening while I'll thinking of other things to log and/or feed. ;)

Most of my scanners that can't be computer programmed or controlled are sitting in storage.

Rich

rwier

Multiple receivers play multiple roles,,Conventional,Trunking,P25,P25 Phase2..Monitor several cities/counties simultaneously.Follow multiple agencies during developing situations ..................

And if you are old and feeble, but would like to listen to the same activities while in the Captain's Chair, or behind the wheel, or with your head on the pillow, without plugging and unplugging a bunch of wires, well there you go ....... !

Status
Not open for further replies.