Scanners and TV frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
Are you able to use a scanner to pick up the audio portion of broadcast TV?

I drive a lot for work and was thinking about picking up a scanner (if this is possible) and listening to shows over the scanner. I'm assuming if this is possible, I would only be able to hear things like PBS, NBC, CBS, etc.

Thanks for the info.

Muckluck

I have an icom ic-r3 and it picks up the audio and video of 5 broadcast stations in my local area. The video screen is small, and really chews the battery up, but it is nice to have a portable TV that I can just listen to if I want. You can leave the screen off and just get the audio if you want - for sitting in traffic it is a nice thing to have with me...

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Unless you can change the audio to wide FM (really wide) than the audio sounds sorta off. I have several stations in the ch14-21 segment in my area, and they can be listened to, but not really clean.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Yeah only draw back is again the NFM, WFM, and some scanners while they do not block all of the audio channels for TV, some are blocked. It's almost like how the Pro97 doesn't allow the receiving of the FM Broadcast band, while various other scanners do.

Concrete1

The Scanners with WFM & VHF-TV sound include the BCD-996T, BCD-396T, BR-330T, BC-370CRS & BCT-15.

rbm

Here's a BCD396/BCD996 USD file for the audio frequencies of U.S. TV channels (2-83) if you're interested.
It'll save you some typing.

Last edited:

rbm

Here's a BCD396/BCD996 USD file for the audio frequencies of U.S. TV channels (2-83) if you're interested.
It'll save you some typing.

(I edited the USD file and placed a period (.) after each channel that's out of the receive range of the BCD396/BCD996. I leave the frequencies in my file for reference purposes. You can delete them if you want.)

Last edited:

Sonar

I always wondered, will TV audio do away with WFM and follow the trend to go towards NFM?

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info. I'm excited to get my scanner and get programming!

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Sonar said:
I always wondered, will TV audio do away with WFM and follow the trend to go towards NFM?

No, they will be moving to digital instead, and not the kind of digital that can be received on a scanner.

Sonar

W4KRR said:
No, they will be moving to digital instead, and not the kind of digital that can be received on a scanner.

I guess that'll happen at the same time when FM radio stations make the move to digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.