• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Scanners, digital/analog recording/text

ratfink11

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,
I have been researching scanners and types listed here.https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Scanner_decision.

----I would like to monitor Eastside, Seattle (King County) and Snohomish City/County.Police, Sherriffs, State Patrol, Fire, I havent had much luck in determining what systems they are on and coverage. If there might be a link so that I can further research? I realize the move to digital but im not sure if everyone has crossed over to the darkside yet?

----I prefer a handheld scanner but not sure how many channels can be tracked at a time? And if all digital capable scanners can also scan analog? Im confused over the digital communication types and what is in use.

Just want to make sure i purchase a scanner that I wont outgrow and will provide me with plenty of options. Like recording.

Is there any such thing as radio audio to text? Are any of the dispatched calls RDS Radio text with ALL the info for the call? The cops get the same calls sent to thier terminals. It would be nice to have a real time text database based off of dispatched/RDS but im not familiar enough with how its being applied in King County and surrounding areas.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Start here:
You will find most everything you want here:

WSP seems to be most active on 700 nowadays.

Buy an SDS100 (Uniden).
Whistler, so far hasn't come out with anything directly competitive with it
Or, the last generation Uniden 486 does a nice job, or a Whistler TRX-1.