Scanners for Richmond Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

uspatriot1975

Hi. I just recently moved to the Richmond area and am getting back into scanning. I have a Pro-95 and it appears about the only thing I can use it for is a baby monitor reciever (which I actually am using it for) at this point???
Can you confirm that I will have to buy a Pro-96 or other P25 scanner to listen in on Henrico/Chesterfield/Richmond etc.?

Much appreciated.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Yes you will have to get a digital scanner. Current models include the Radio Shack (but made by GRE) Pro-96 and Pro-2096, the Uniden BCD996T and 396T, and the GRE PSR-500 and PSR-600. Personally I would go with the GREs (I have the 96, 2096, 996, and the 500) and my personal opinion the GRE is by far the best out of them (followed by the RS models). The Unidens have the features but not the digital reception and quality, the Radio Shack have digital recption and quality but not the features, and the GREs have the features and the digital reception and quality.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
There's plenty of simulcasts, and non-public safety stuff. What part of the area do you live in?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

uspatriot1975

Midlothian.
I scan through the frequencies and really don't pick up anything besides the digital static of all the great frequencies I WANT to listen to.

mrova

I've still got my old sportcat 80...gonna go digital one day. There's quite a bit you can get. I searched this site and added some new frequencies I didn't have. Right now, I'm getting chesterfield fire dispatch, some(?) state police, some(?) medflight stuff, Richmond airport, lots of dadburn taxis which I finally just muted, US Coast Guard out of Hampton Roads, and maybe a few others.
have fun.
SV

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
uspatriot1975 said:
Midlothian.
I scan through the frequencies and really don't pick up anything besides the digital static of all the great frequencies I WANT to listen to.

As was posted, you can listen to Chesterfield Fire dispatch simulcast on 154.160; Henrico Fire/EMS dispatch simulcast on 155.235; State Police channel 1 on 159.000; plus Powhatan, Goochland, Amelia, etc.

Check the database here on RR for those localities and associated VHF & UHF channels you can monitor.

KF4ZTO

Richmond Ambulance is still on analog, as is GRTC, if you're interested in listening to bus drivers chat all day. I'd say keep your Pro-95...and then get a GRE PSR-600/500.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
In Midlothian you should also be able to pick up Powhatan and maybe a couple of other outlying counties.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to pick up Powhatan, Amelia, Goochland, Nottoway, and maybe Cumberland from Midlothian. I also live in Midlothian and those are just a few of the outlying counties I pickup.

gcgrotz

Air Traffic! Listen to Air Traffic! Lots of it out west there with everybody flying back and forth over Flat Rock and on approach to RIC.

And yeah, put the Ham repeaters in there. 146.88 and 145.43 have especially good coverage around Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.