Scanners in PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misfire

Not really sure where to put this.

I recently put a cb in my truck (I know, I know. I should go HAM) after remembering how much fun I had with it in the '90's as a kid (I'm still a kid, you could say) traveling from NC to Maine to visit family. Anyway, I also remember having a scanner and also recall listening to it for hours.

So, here I am in (Lancaster, if that helps anyone) Pennsylvania and wondering if I should get a scanner since I've read that everyone is going digital and all that crap.

Honestly, I don't know. I was thinking the BC335C would be good but would just like some direction from locals (which is why I put it here instead of general scanner discussion or whatever) or anyone really.

Tommahawk

Yeap buy a scanner. The test phase for the new Lancaster County system should start in the summer I do believe. Best option is to buy one of the Digital Trunking ones. I believe Radio Shack has one on sale (or at least it was) for $350.00.

There is quite a bit of non trunk traffic in Lancaster County. Lebanon/Dauphin/Chester, and York Counties all use trunked systems so a Digital Trunking scanner is the way to go depending on your needs.

As far as ham radio, Lancaster Radio Transmitting Society W3AD Lancaster, Pennsylvania has a list of frequencies for the Lancaster County area...

Misfire

Alright, I'll look into one of those scanners. Thanks for the link too, I don't have my licence yet but that site seems to have good information on where to get it and stuff.

I assume the Radioshack pro-197 is the one you're talking about, is that ready to use from the box without anything extra aside form programming?

TomJH

Go for it! I have a Radio Shack PRO 2055 that works great. After doing some research, I believe the Radio Shack digital scanner or the GRE equivalant are great units. I live here in Lancaster county, and there are lots of trunked systems, mostly businesses, but as digital expands, you will need one. Have fun with it!

Misfire

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to get a RadioShack pro167 since I found it for $300 because it was a floor model. Now, hopefully I can figure out how to operate it when it gets here.

Off topic- I didn't realize how many people near me use old radio stuff (for lack of better wording) until I put one on my truck and now it's all I see. Pretty neat how it works like that.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Buy a GRE PSR-600. GRE America, Inc. - grecom scanner receiver, lcd modules, spread spectrum radio, wireless bridge, scanner antenna, scanner pre-amps.

You should be able to listen to every monitorable system out there with that scanner and it is upgradable. I suggest searching online for a better price - ebay, etc. I plan to purchase one in the near future because the county I dispatch in is going to be switching to P25 Digital Trunked and my RadioShack Pro-2051 won't hack it anymore. I've had personal experience with the PSR-600 and it's lightening fast with PL Tone decoding as well as Trunked System scanning and the squelch threshold is amazing and doesn't fry on every little piece of interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.