Scanners shows "Scan Mode. Nothing to Scan" - How to stop scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
As soon as I turn my Uniden BCD536HP scanner on, it says "Scan Mode. Nothing to Scan" which I think means that it wants to scan conventional channels of which I have not programmed any yet.

Sooooooo... How do I shut off this scan mode?

I just want to scan a single trunking system with two departments which used to work fine when I first got the scanner. The other day, I tried ARC536PRO and just after I wrote to the scanner, the "Scan Mode. Nothing to Scan" message started to appear. I don't think I changed any scan functions in the ARC536PRO application (which I am currently demo'ing). I do not want it to scan conventional channels (yet).

Thanks in advance once again for assistance in getting this message to stop. Earlier, I had another startup message appearing and you all came to my rescue. Thanks everyone for helping this BCD536HP noob!

73 (best wishes), Dave K4EET :confused:

daveharpe

Don't feel bad. It's a problem pretty much every user of a x36HP scanner has had at one time or another, which is why there are checklists to help. Indicative of a really poorly designed interface.

K4EET

Chaplain

Well... Thanks for pointing out the checklist to me. I went through the whole list and checked my parameters and everything looks OK but still getting the same error message. I confess that I do not fully understand QKs and quite possibly I may be misunderstanding some peculiarity. I am going to re-read the manual one more time and see if I can make sense of things. I worked on this issue ever since posting at 8:30 PM without success. It is very frustrating not to be able to scan ever since "writing to memory" using the ARC536PRO software the other day. But I feel confident that this is cockpit error and NOT the fault of ARC536PRO. Still frustrating... Thanks again! 73 (best wishes), Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
Don't feel bad. It's a problem pretty much every user of a x36HP scanner has had at one time or another, which is why there are checklists to help. Indicative of a really poorly designed interface.

Thanks for the comforting words that I am not alone. I am going to also re-read the "Easier to Read BCD436HP/BCD536HP Digital Scanner Manual" again, very slowly this time, and see if I can glean anything else from that manual too.

The bad thing is this. If somebody were to ask me whether they should buy the BCDx36HP scanner from Uniden, at this point in time, my answer would probably be no. As great as a scanner as it appears to be and after I did a thorough review of available scanners, Uniden stood out. What I did not really pay attention to was all of these posts about "Nothing to Scan" thinking it was a minor cockpit error. I graduated summa cum laude (4.0 GPA) with a Master of Engineering degree and I am totally perplexed over programming this scanner.

At this point in time, I don't think this is a very easy scanner to "customize" without fouling up something. I've always said, if the software can spot an error and throw an error code, the software should at least tell you what triggered the error in the first place. "Scan Mode. Nothing to Scan" is not only poor English, it is certainly not very helpful since one error message can be triggered by so many cockpit errors.

Oh well... Pray that I don't go crazy trying to figure out what I did wrong... :roll:

73 (best wishes), Dave K4EET

MStep

The bad thing is this. If somebody were to ask me whether they should buy the BCDx36HP scanner from Uniden, at this point in time, my answer would probably be no.

Oh no, no, no Dave. The x36 series are incredibly beautiful pieces of equipment that require a certain amount of time and energy to master. One must have patience and fortitude and must be willing to undergo a lot of trial & error to really form a bond with these machines.

Beginners are sometimes going to be frustrated, but that's part of the learning process. Once you've "mastered" these devices, you'll regard this occasional idiosyncrasies as wonderful challenges to test and refine your skills.

I'm more concerned about the longer-term issues regarding the RTC and dimming displays, than I am about getting an occasional "Nothing To Scan" screen.

You have opted to purchase one of the best and most sophisticated trunking scanners ever devised. Had Albert Einstein thrown in the towel with every misfortune, he would have ended up as obscure patent clerk in a back office somewhere in Europe.

Although it is rumored by colleagues who worked close with him to have occasionally heard him mumble, "Vat is this meshuggener No Can Scan screen that keeps un popenzeuppen?!?!?"

Voyager

Worst case, you could reload the data from Sentinel if you have it on your PC. Most likely you disabled a Service Type or Quick Key (FL, System, Department, and/or Site).

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Turn on all your "service types" and I bet it will start scanning again. The most frequent cause in my experience (both myself and reading other posts) is after changing something in ARC536 or Sentinel, you inadvertently have changed the "service type" of some of your conventional channels or trunk system TGs to something else, or even "custom."
Go into your Menu, select "service types" and turn them all on, including "custom." See then what happens. If that doesn't work, then your next likely problem is you may have inadvertently added some quick key number to a favorite list, system, or trunk site somewhere. Then you have to search that out. Takes quite a bit of detective work.
OK with your summa cum laude in engineering. I graduated "Phi Beta Kappa" at UCLA in biochemistry then went to medical school. Granted that was more than 40 years ago, but you would figure I might know something. But NO, when I hit the 536HP/436HP, the learning curve was quite arduous. Really a PITA at first, but with time, the full function and flexibility of these scanners begins to appear.
I agree completely with MStep. The 536HP is the most sophisticated trunking scanner currently available. Perfect, no, but beats hands down anything else I have on my list below in terms of flexibility. But the learning curve is "no cake walk." Yes, you can use the zip code feature and be up and scanning "lots of things" in a few minutes.
But for detailed, focused, flexible scanning, this is like another "engineering course." Hang in there Dave, you will be glad you did. K4EET DE AA6IO

K4EET

Chaplain
Oh no, no, no Dave. The x36 series are incredibly beautiful pieces of equipment that require a certain amount of time and energy to master. One must have patience and fortitude and must be willing to undergo a lot of trial & error to really form a bond with these machines.

Beginners are sometimes going to be frustrated, but that's part of the learning process. Once you've "mastered" these devices, you'll regard this occasional idiosyncrasies as wonderful challenges to test and refine your skills.

I'm more concerned about the longer-term issues regarding the RTC and dimming displays, than I am about getting an occasional "Nothing To Scan" screen.

You have opted to purchase one of the best and most sophisticated trunking scanners ever devised. Had Albert Einstein thrown in the towel with every misfortune, he would have ended up as obscure patent clerk in a back office somewhere in Europe.

Although it is rumored by colleagues who worked close with him to have occasionally heard him mumble, "Vat is this meshuggener No Can Scan screen that keeps un popenzeuppen?!?!?"

MStep, very well said!

Once you've "mastered" these devices, you'll regard this occasional idiosyncrasies as wonderful challenges to test and refine your skills.

I'm confident that you are absolutely correct! At least I hope you are... :wink:

73, Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
Worst case, you could reload the data from Sentinel if you have it on your PC.

Unfortunately, I don't. But that is a good idea! Perhaps UPMan could post the original HPD file online that would enable those that go down the wrong path to start over... 73, Dave K4EET :)

K4EET

Chaplain
Turn on all your "service types" and I bet it will start scanning again. <snip> Go into your Menu, select "service types" and turn them all on, including "custom." See what happens.

Already did that but no go...

If that doesn't work, then your next likely problem is you may have inadvertently added some quick key number to a favorite list, system, or trunk site somewhere. Then you have to search that out. Takes quite a bit of detective work.

Not sure what you mean here. How can simply adding a QK to a FL, SYS and/or DEPT mess something up? What scenario am I looking for? :confused:

...you would figure I might know something. But NO, when I hit the 536HP/436HP, the learning curve was quite arduous. Really a PITA at first,...

I fully understand that! :lol:

But for detailed, focused, flexible scanning, this is like another "engineering course." Hang in there Dave, you will be glad you did. K4EET DE AA6IO

Thank you. Will do, my friend. 73, Dave K4EET

Voyager

Unfortunately, I don't. But that is a good idea! Perhaps UPMan could post the original HPD file online that would enable those that go down the wrong path to start over... 73, Dave K4EET :)

There really is no "original HPD file", but maybe someone who purchases one will read it and post it. Really, the CLEAR USER DATA would perform the same task (or nearly so) as the full data "reset". But I would only recommend that as a last resort.

At this point, maybe install Sentinel and read your scanner. You might pick up on something you missed in the settings. You will also then have a backup once you get it working again.

K4EET

Chaplain
I'm back to scanning...​

Oh how stupid I am... After checking everything that everybody told me to check, it still wouldn't scan. It wasn't until I started thinking about the 50 mile circle around my coordinates versus the 8, 12, 19, etc. mile circles around the sites I wanted to monitor. And then it dawned on me. My latitude is North (+ coordinates) and my longitude is West (- coordinates). The coordinates that I entered for my location were both positive...

I placed my house on the wrong side of the Northern Hemisphere somewhere in China! :lol:

Well... It took me about 3 days and 20 man-hours to figure out my mistake. But the good news is this...

I will recommend the BCDx36HP scanners to anyone that asks!!!

It is truly a magnificent scanner!

73, Dave K4EET

P.S.: Oh what a difference in attitude I have when things work correctly... :wink:

Voyager

Glad you're "Back in the USA".

Now load Sentinel and read your scanner so you have a backup! :D

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Dave,
Glad you figured out the problem. Enjoy the radio. There will probably be other frustrating moments. Just the nature of the beast with this radio. But each time something comes up, it will take less time to figure it out. I have been using 536HPs (have 3, one which is in Phoenix at daughter's house) since they first came out in January 2014. Still get the occasional "nothing to scan" or problem with "virtual control" with programs like ARC536PRO and ProScan after making some changes.
Just the nature of the beast with these scanners. Just a lot of functions, many which I have not really explored in detail even after almost 2 years. They are great scanners.
Regards
Steve AA6IO

K4EET

Chaplain
Voyager, Steve AA6IO and all the others, thanks sooooooo much for helping me! I actually learned a lot troubleshooting this problem which was totally cockpit error. The scanner was right - nothing to scan! :lol: Now to back-up all of my FLs and Sites in HPD and KML files... 73, Dave K4EET

phask

Premium Subscriber
Are you using this mobile? If not why even add geo-location?

Also - curious - what were you hand entering that is not in the DB?

K4EET

Chaplain
Are you using this mobile? If not why even add geo-location?

Also - curious - what were you hand entering that is not in the DB?

Nope, it is a fixed location setup. I hand-entered the actual coordinates of my house but forgot to put a minus sign in front of the longitude coordinate. I entered the geolocation out of habit from using my house coordinates on many things related to ham radio. :) 73 (best wishes), Dave K4EET

phask

Premium Subscriber
If using fixed - just have location control off for the favorite list. Set it in the profile, that way you can ignore range settings and any lat/lon.

I have all my fixed location lists set this way, and all most mobile ones set on. The one list I use around town or local has location off.

I'm always cautious with coordinates. I'm a big GPS, Geocache, map junkie. There are way too many ways for it to be entered and way too many ways to get errors.

I go back to paper topo maps and scales and using them to correlate coordinates :)

de N8PFF

Nope, it is a fixed location setup. I hand-entered the actual coordinates of my house but forgot to put a minus sign in front of the longitude coordinate. I entered the geolocation out of habit from using my house coordinates on many things related to ham radio. :) 73 (best wishes), Dave K4EET

Status
Not open for further replies.