scanners that look like..

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You can program some actual 2-way radios for receive only. But they are very limited in "scanning" features when compared to scanners.

N0IU

are there any scanners that resemble an actual radio?
OK, I'll bite... what does an "actual radio" look like?

When I turn on my scanner, sound comes out of the speaker so I would have to say that this particular device does indeed resemble an "actual radio".

What part of this concept am I missing???

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber
A lot of the old shortwave radios had a band around 1.7 mhz that was marked "Police". i.e.; Hallicrafters S-38E. Not exactly with led's that moved progressively or with programmable channels like the scanners of today but I know what you are asking. It would be interesting to see a scanner radio fashioned after an old AM/FM receiver. Maybe with the display or led's arranged around the tuning dial, that would be cool.

VPD24193

I want a handheld that doesnt have alot of buttons black or dark grey and has trunking capabilities ......?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I want a handheld that doesnt have alot of buttons black or dark grey and has trunking capabilities ......?

Would like you like that with pin striping too? Tinted glass maybe?
Sorry. But radio IS what it IS.:lol:
N9ZAS

RadioDaze

If the faceplate on a scanner can be removed, maybe it can be painted black. There are also some paints that dry with a crinkle texture. Pretty sure what he wants is a scanner that looks more like a commercial grade HT. I don't blame him. I'm not a whacker, but I don't want to carry around a scanner that looks like a toy.

(P.S. - I'm not implying that he's whacker.)

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
If the faceplate on a scanner can be removed, maybe it can be painted black. There are also some paints that dry with a crinkle texture. Pretty sure what he wants is a scanner that looks more like a commercial grade HT. I don't blame him. I'm not a whacker, but I don't want to carry around a scanner that looks like a toy.

(P.S. - I'm not implying that he's whacker.)
same here. plus cops know what scanners look like and they can spot you with them in a heartbeat. then they tell you to move along if your spectating. I have better luck with ham radios. they don't pay much mind. Lot of the time police don't mind spectators till I show up with my scanner then i get shooed away, but the ham radio they think nothing about it. I don't spectate much anymore like i did years ago. the police these days aren't as friendly about it anymore. Too many new cops and probably stricter policies. who knows.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"are there any scanners that resemble an actual radio?"
The short answer is no, my first VHF receiver was not a scanner.

Last edited:

N0IU

Pretty sure what he wants is a scanner that looks more like a commercial grade HT.
Either you are a psychic or have been talking to the OP outside of this forum because he never said exactly why he wanted a scanner that looked like an "actual radio".
I'm not a whacker, but I don't want to carry around a scanner that looks like a toy.
Why does it matter what your sacnner looks like as long as it receives the signals you are interested in?
plus cops know what scanners look like and they can spot you with them in a heartbeat. then they tell you to move along if your spectating.
Maybe they just don't want "civilians" getting in their way.

N8IAA

[QUOTEWhy does it matter what your sacnner looks like as long as it receives the signals you are interested in? Maybe they just don't want "civilians" getting in their way.[/QUOTE]
Maybe it's Eric's bicycle??
Larry

RadioDaze

Either you are a psychic or have been talking to the OP outside of this forum because he never said exactly why he wanted a scanner that looked like an "actual radio".

I actually am a psychic... I know that the word b***s*** is going through your mind as you read this! :)

It was this: "I want a handheld that doesn't have a lot of buttons black or dark grey..." plus the words "actual radio" that tipped me off. I don't think anyone would use the word "actual" if referring to a transistor radio. More like "...just a regular radio..." The iScan would fill the bill if going that direction.

A GRE 500 is probably closer to what he wants than a Pro-106, aesthetically speaking, although still not quite right. (Just another guess.) For the OP, it's the trunking part that makes it hard to find a radio with the right look, like some of the Icoms or Yaesus.

I don't really care what my radio looks like, but I want to at least appear professional enough that I'll be invited to have some of the coffee and donuts that they are serving at the CP. ;)

Although, if the radio is just to monitor the police while throwing snowballs and stuff, it probably doesn't matter what it looks like. When the OP reaches adulthood, then the type of radio he carries will play more of a roll in imparting an official appearance to him.

Last edited:

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
Better word choice for the OP might include, "transceiver" or "Land Mobile Radio".

Anyway trunking is the big sticking point, you need to decide between strictly trunking or no trunking. For no trunking, you have many options including a wide band receiver or amateur HT, many of which include wide band rx and since output power is not an issue you can find a rather small one. For trunking purchace a radio made for transmitting on trunking, you will however be limited to all trunking and possibly some conventional in that band only. Purchasing an actual commercial radio is a viable option, I have a Motorola that receives (and transmitts) from 136-174, has 160+ memories and the capibility to scan all of them, the only issue is depending on where you plan to monitor, the commercial radio may get you some unwanted attention.

RADIOGUY2002

Are you kidding me

Are you kidding me, an actual radio? Dude, your getting a scanner, you want somthing else- its either a ham radio or a comerical two way radio. Either way you plan on going to be noticed on some level, unless you want to dish out 5,000 for a motorola nextel look like radio and thats only one band. You, want somthing special modified it then. The object here is not make a scence and get in the way, its better if you monitor from home with the right system setup. Or if you want to see from up close stay the hell out of the way of the public safety workers, yes it is possible. It's called standing on the opposite side of the street and listening with an earpiece. Trust me, certain situations brings with it alot of undo stress and tension that does not need to be their, you should know this as you state that you are an officer. Plus, when you have lots of people in a small environment your going to need a good earpiece other wise you might as well forget about hearing the audio. Plus, its hard to deicated mutiple channels on a incident to one radio. The best apporach is to have mutiple radios from a fixed location to listen to all the activity. Oh, well you learn as the hobby breaks you in.

Last edited:

RadioDaze

I would encourage the OP to take a more serious approach to his hobby, and maybe pursue an Amateur license. I think an "actual" transmit-capable radio will just get him into trouble at this point in time.

P.S., good points, Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.