scanners to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyyou1979

whats a good kind of scanner to buy without costing an arm and a leg. the kind i like to get is one that i can listen to fire, police,ambulance, public works, trains, planes,

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
You will definetely want a trunktracker. I don't know where you reside , but in Ontario , to listen to the OPP you will need a digital scanner (which will cost you an arm , if not a leg as well) :D

Okay , if digital is not in your price range , how about a Uniden BC246T,BC330T ? RadioShack Pro-2055 or Pro 97 ?

Look at the scanner prices at www.radioworld.ca and www.durhamradio.com to see if your
finances match your needs for Uniden products. Check www.radioshack.com for American prices of their product.

Which is better Uniden or RadioShack ? I don't know ...:confused:
is Nike better than Adidas ? , only you know what fits and what style you prefer.

jellotor

Can you be a bit more specific? Which fire departments, police services and so forth do you want to listen to? Can you also indicate what you consider too much to pay for a scanner?

heyyou1979

i consider $250.00 and more be expensive. fire dept and police will be like in the hastings county like belleville ontario and if i go to toronto i like to listen to everything in toronto

hastingsmedic

Another Option

Have you considered looking on ebay (search both .ca and .com) for some of the scanners mentioned above? For example a Pro 2051 trunking scanner (they are identical to a BCT8 and will let you hear the FD and EMS you are looking for) seem to be in the $100-150 range.
As with all ebay purchases though, buyer beware.

Hastingsmedic

MilBil

If you want to listen to Belleville Police and the OPP. you will have to have a digital scanner .The Radio Shack Pro96 or the 2096 base set are options . There are also several Uniden digital scanners also that will fit your bill .The Unidens tend to be more expensive .I would look for a good used scanner from this site or Ebay is also an option .

pontiac2000

Purchasing in the U.S.

If money is an option, you may want to consider purchasing a scanner in the U.S. Not sure if you are planning any road trips this summer, but you can save quite a few $$$ if you purchase south of the border.

For example, you can pickup the Uniden BC-246T for $203 US = approx. $230 Cdn (no taxes)

http://www.bearcat1.com/item0022.htm

or, the same item at Radioworld = $349 Cdn + 14% taxes = $397.86

http://www.durhamradio.com/s/product.php?productid=45360&cat=1839&page=1

This scanner won't pickup the OPP, but it will pickup everything you have indicated in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.