Scanners Unlimited Is Closing To Retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
To All of My Dear Customers:

After 31 years in the radio business, it is with sadness, and yet a feeling of peace, that I am announcing my retirement. My reasons for this decision are the following:

1. My goals have all been reached:

To stay in business at least 30 years, to retire once I can begin to collect Social Security, and to close my store when my business was doing well, and at a time of my own choosing, rather than being forced to close because business was bad.

2. It felt like it was time.

3. I want to become active in doing a variety of volunteer work in my community, and having the business does not afford me ample free time to do that.

It has been very fulfilling to have dealt with so many wonderful people, and I love the relationships I have had with many of my customers. That is what I will miss the most, as I am a people person, who has enjoyed all of the interactions, both with customers in the store, as well as those on the phone.

One of my fantasies for the future, is to travel around the U.S. with my wife and meet for coffee, many of the customers whom I have gotten to know on the phone, but have never met in person.

Beginning Tuesday, January 29th, I will be having a Going Out Of Business Sale, with almost everything in stock being discounted, many at or below my cost.

On the page below, there is a list of the items I currently have in stock, with both their regular in store prices, and their liquidation sale prices. Items are in limited quantities, and will be sold on a first come, first served basis. All sales are final, and there are no returns or exchanges, but most come with the full factory warranty, unless marked as used or demos.

The sale will go until Tuesday, March 11th. During the last week of the sale, I will be selling my display models, but not until then.

During the sale, I will not be able to handle special orders, if I am out of stock on any item, with a few exceptions.

For the first several days of the sale, I may not be able to answer the pone for long periods, but promise to reply to any messages left on my answering machine, within 24 hours. Shipping of phone or e-mailed orders will be done no later than the next business day after the order is placed.

The best way to place an order is to e-mail me at scannerunl@aol.com with your name, phone number, best time to reach you, and what you would like to order. I will then get back to you by phone that same day if you are available and can be reached. Because it is likely to be quite busy in the store, especially early on, if I do answer the phone, I may not be able to chat or answer questions about my retirement, and hope that everyone understands why this is necessary.

I am sorry to be leaving a scanner community that I have enjoyed serving for 31 years, and hope that the other dealers can meet that community’s needs.

Glenn Cohen

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Happy Retirement Glenn

Glenn I always enjoyed talking to you and every time I felt I learned a little something.

You will be missed by many scanning folks and even competitors.

Take care my friend

Jeff

Bentley

Good for you Glenn! You had a great store and all of us that have ordered from you know that and apprecieate all the years of great service you have provided. Its very admirable what you are planning to do. Best of luck in all your future endeavors. Keep scanning!!!

br0adband

I didn't notice a link in your post, Glenn, so...

http://www.scannersunlimited.com/

For those that don't know it. While I was never a customer, I do know from reading many comments around here over the years that you a great resource for many people. It's cool to see someone set such long terms goals and actually achieve them in their lifetime.

May retirement be all you wanted it to be, and good luck with your community assistance efforts.

Have fun, always...

EDIT:
After loading the website myself I noted he's simply copied and pasted his "going away" message here. The list is there on the website.

Last edited:

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Take care & enjoy retirement, Glen. The scanner community will miss you and certainly appreciates what your business has done for all of these years!

Gooser

Glenn is a true gentleman.
The selfish side of me is saddened to know that as I am just getting back into the hobby I will lose a great local resource to procure from.

I am glad I had an opportunity to do business with him and wish him nothing but the best.

Statevillian

Glenn,

You will be missed. I enjoyed doing business with you. When you make the trip to Chicago, let me know. Lunch or dinner on me.

SCPD

QRT
Glen,

I've enjoyed doing business with you over the years. Many others have as well and your customer service is what kept all of us coming back. I prefer small, independent businesses to the corporate ones. I will really miss your business.

Good luck in retirement!

Jono40141

Glenn,
I had a phone transaction with you and you were the most helpful person. You were the first to get the PSR-500's in stock. I appreciate your help and service. I wish other businesses could model your customer service its PERFECT!
Jonathan Williams
Lexington KY

Big_Ears

Glenn,
I can recall the olden days when I started going to the old (Laurel St.) store to purchase battery packs for my ole Regency HX-1000, 30 ch. portable scanner. That scanner kickstarted my hobby of searching the spectrum for interesting listening. Who would know that after 25+ years and 5500 channels later, I'm still searching the bands for that elusive radio comm. I appreciate your continued dedication to the hobby. If it wasn't for your stores, I wouldn't have known that San Carlos even existed.

Good luck to your future endevours. I know you will always have a scanner on and monitoring wherever your travels take you.

Garry "Big Ears" up on the Perch

Last edited:

mcooke

I talked to Glenn last year over the phone when I was ordering some crystals and don't think I told him this.... My father used to take me into his store when I was a teen and had dreams of going into law enforcement. I used to listen to Bay Area police and fire all the time when I wasn't in school. Now I'm close to 20 years in law enforcement, command a precinct in a large urban area, and still have fond memories of scanning as a teen. Thanks Glenn.

scnnr

Congratulations on your retirement Glen. I retired 3 years ago and now I have the best job I have ever had. :lol:

Thanks for the great service you provided to me and all the other scanner enthusiasts out there.

bcradio

Database Admin
Congrats Glenn.

It's been a pleasure doing business with you, and I wish you all the best in your retirement.

scanjunkie

WOW!! I'm shocked! But I understand and wish you nothing but the best in your retirement, Glenn!!

Thanks for all your years of service...The best customer service out there has left the building!!

Enjoy!!

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Shoot, now I'll have to find another store to recommend.

As I've said numerous times in the past, I dealt with Glenn almost since the day the store opened. Always by mail or on line (as the web came of age). He has offered nothing but superlative service.

He will be sorely missed, but Glenn, I wish you the best in your retirement. You've definately earned it.

As others have said, drop a note every now and then to keep us up to date on how your retirement is going. That is IF you have the time. :D

GOOD LUCK.

musicmanone

To Glen

Just another long time, if infrequent, customer lamenting my loss of your services but happy for you. Of all the business I ever did business with, you and yours was perhaps the best. Best of luck in retirement. By the way, I admire your desire to give back to the community. I've done it and it's far better than work. Van

Status
Not open for further replies.