Scanner's while traveling via Airplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Was hoping someone could answer my question. I am flying out in a few days and was wondering if I was able to bring my scanner as long as it wasnt a carry on item?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure you can put the scanner in a box and have it in a carry on bag. I've done that for a few years. I wouldn't trust putting under the plane I've seen someone throw bags on the ground like it was nothing...

midnightcaller

Premium Subscriber
I have brought my scanner with me many of times I keep my handheld in my coat pocket with a set of head phones and have it set to listen to the Port of Seattle and aircraft I never had a problem

MY mobile scanner goes in the suitcase along with my metal detector and a few other radios that I take with me never had a problem with things getting broke or stolen just pack them good

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
i've had friends that have taken their scanners on the planes
BUT REMEMBER!!
the general public DOESNT know what a scanner does and what it is!
in this post 9/11 US, i wouldnt start waving it around all over if I were you

gcgrotz

Get your ham license and carry a legal HT that also happens to scan. I've done it for years and only had one time recently when a screener saw a "spike looking thing" on the x-ray and went digging around for it. When he pulled out the radio, he said Oh, OK and put it back in. No problem.

I don't listen while in flight, as much as I'd love to!

Stephen

I have taken my scanners and portable HT's on the plane and listened to the Air traffic before and after take off the only issue is if you have it on while on take off they will tell you to turn it off. I wouldn't go waving it around like said previous but, there should be no issues. If asked if it's a radio remind any air crew it does not transmit a signal that is what they might have a concern with.

Have a good flight

Steve

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Mike provided the answer in post #4 to this much asked question.
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.