Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

aircooledtx

I have been listen to scanners since the 1970's . Radio's have changed allot since then, but I would say that Uniden has kept up with great scanners..

DonS

Presuming we're limitiing this discussion to "trunking" scanners...

The two manufacturers each have their strong points. Uniden does some things better than GRE, and GRE does some things better than Uniden. Over the last several years, both manufacturers have had "firsts" in the market. Which manufacturer's products are "best" is a subjective determination that every user must make for himself, depending on his own needs, interests, and wants.

A blanket "<manufacturer X> is best" statement is almost always going to be inaccurate for half of the market.

scanchs

A Question...

Presuming we're limitiing this discussion to "trunking" scanners...

The two manufacturers each have their strong points. Uniden does some things better than GRE, and GRE does some things better than Uniden. Over the last several years, both manufacturers have had "firsts" in the market. Which manufacturer's products are "best" is a subjective determination that every user must make for himself, depending on his own needs, interests, and wants.

A blanket "<manufacturer X> is best" statement is almost always going to be inaccurate for half of the market.

DonS,

I fully agree with the first part of your post. I'm curious, though, is your comment regarding "half of the market" based on any data? I've occasionally wondered how the scanner market is split up, particularly between GRE and Uniden. It's inconceivable that it would be divided 50/50 between the two manufacturers. Based on your statement, it sounds like you have some actual knowledge of this data. Is your statement really true or was it intended to be more of a generality? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

ScanCHS

DonS

I've occasionally wondered how the scanner market is split up, particularly between GRE and Uniden. It's inconceivable that it would be divided 50/50 between the two manufacturers.

Why is that inconceivable? What evidence is there that either manufacturer has significantly more market share than the other? Without such evidence, I was making the only available presumption: the market is split roughly evenly between the two.

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Right now, I'm running a 396xt and a 106. So, i'm not technically contributing to either side. I assume alot of seasoned scanist do the same, run both brands do to the advantages the other has to the next.

scanchs

Why is that inconceivable? What evidence is there that either manufacturer has significantly more market share than the other? Without such evidence, I was making the only available presumption: the market is split roughly evenly between the two.

DonS,

My reasoning was that it's statistically improbable that a free market would be split evenly between two competitors, even with similar products. Other factors would tend to skew the data in one company's favor (i.e., name recognition, customer loyalty, marketing networks, etc.). A company's market share would be determined by all of these factors combined, not just their products. The likelyhood that market shares would be split 50/50 simply seems to be improbable from a purely statistical point of view.

I don't presume to know which company has the stronger market share, but I would be willing to bet that one of them does, because the statistical probability favors that scenario. When I saw your comment, I thought maybe you had access to data that you had based your statement on. I guess your presumption is a bit of a leap for me. Without any real data, we simply arrive at different conclusions. Sorry if I upset you. Thanks! :)

ScanCHS

HillWalker

From what I've saw on this forum, I would guesstimate that Uniden would be somewhat ahead of GRE/Radioshack in terms of the number of units sold.

Likewise, for Europe, since GRE have not really considered European market in any of their recent scanners apart from the PSR-295, it's fairly obvious that Uniden has captured this market as well. One only needs to look at trade fairs, auction sites, and classified listings to see that there are far more Uniden's than GRE scanners for sale over here.

I started out using a GRE scanner which I found was very good, especially for the weaker signals, but very basic. Once I got a Uniden I found that the overall build quality and design of the scanner was more ergonomic and attractive. No GRE scanner over here has Close Call/Signal Stalker/RF Capture so obviously when Uniden released the Close Call concept in 2004, the market shifted towards that.

Status
Not open for further replies.