Scanning a trunk systems and PL tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Seems to me I've seen this question asked somewhere here on RR before, but for the life of me, I can't find a thread along those lines, so I guess I'll toss this question out....

Do trunking systems utilize CTCSS / DCS tones? I'm thinking they don't, but would like to know for sure.

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

:)

oracavon

No, trunked systems don't use tones. CTCSS and DCS are used on conventional analog channels. Conventional (i.e., non-trunked) P25 digital channels use NAC instead of tones. Trunked systems of either type (analog or digital) don't use tones or NAC.

nd5y

P25 trunked systems do use NAC on both control and voice channels.
Motorola analog trunked systems use a connect tone on the voice channel inputs only and have a subaudible data on the outputs.
EDACS analog systems have subaudible data that contains an access code on the voice channels.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
P25 trunked systems do use NAC on both control and voice channels.
Motorola analog trunked systems use a connect tone on the voice channel inputs only and have a subaudible data on the outputs.
EDACS analog systems have subaudible data that contains an access code on the voice channels.

So then, are connect tones and access tones the same as CTCSS/DCS tones?

Sent wirelessly from somewhere behind the Iron Curtain.

D

DaveNF2G

Probably because the repeaters are dual-mode LTR and conventional.

Or maybe the low-speed data averages to whatever tone frequency you have programmed.

The connect tones on a Motorola trunked system work the same way as CTCSS. The frequencies are non-standard and have lower tolerances.

Status
Not open for further replies.