• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scanning a trunking network with a ASTRO25 Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

emtnj437

Deactivated
Banned
For most of you in here that have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to programming a Astro 25 XTS-2500 radio for conventional trunking scanning without affiliating with the network or transmitting on the system because it is illegal. Maybe you can all learn something from this video from a guy over seas who has some knowledge on this subject. Remember you can monitor a digital Astro 25 trunked system and you don't need a system key, just put the talk groups in Motorola format and the frequencies and it is possible. Just like a scanner. Listen and learn: Scanning a trunking network with a ASTRO25 Radio V2 - YouTube

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I guess you missed the part where he is doing a wildcard search, and is on a X2 system.

emtnj437

Deactivated
Banned
Just what I thought the replies would be!! On here.

"Say What?" That's the same reaction I thought I would get when I posted this video on here! All this board is a bashing forum when someone has a question, the only replies are smart A** answers. This forum is a joke. I read the comments from the admins and moderators. Also the "Radio Gods", or shall I say radio whackers. If you really want to run this board the right way, give some respect to those that don't have as much knowledge. Try being a mentor, not sarcastic idiots. Take for example this post. Instead of bashing it, maybe someone could of said, "Hey that's a great video, it can help a lot of people that have no idea on how to set up a system on a portable to monitor a trunking system, Thanks!" However, that wasn't the case...Read your replies guys and think about what I just said. Mr. Moderators and Admins I am truly sorry I paid money to become a premium member....Never again will you get a penny out of me.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
"Say What?" That's the same reaction I thought I would get when I posted this video on here! All this board is a bashing forum when someone has a question, the only replies are smart A** answers. This forum is a joke. I read the comments from the admins and moderators. Also the "Radio Gods", or shall I say radio whackers. If you really want to run this board the right way, give some respect to those that don't have as much knowledge. Try being a mentor, not sarcastic idiots. Take for example this post. Instead of bashing it, maybe someone could of said, "Hey that's a great video, it can help a lot of people that have no idea on how to set up a system on a portable to monitor a trunking system, Thanks!" However, that wasn't the case...Read your replies guys and think about what I just said. Mr. Moderators and Admins I am truly sorry I paid money to become a premium member....Never again will you get a penny out of me.

I guess it's OK though for you to start this thread with:

"For most of you in here that have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to programming"

It appears like you are just looking for a confrontation.

If you don't like it here you are welcome to delete your account and move on.

NCFire11

emtnj437 said:
All this board is a bashing forum when someone has a question, the only replies are smart A** answers.

Nowhere in your original post did you have a question.....

For most of you in here that have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to programming a Astro 25 XTS-2500 radio for conventional trunking scanning without affiliating with the network or transmitting on the system because it is illegal. Maybe you can all learn something from this video from a guy over seas who has some knowledge on this subject. Remember you can monitor a digital Astro 25 trunked system and you don't need a system key, just put the talk groups in Motorola format and the frequencies and it is possible. Just like a scanner. Listen and learn: Scanning a trunking network with a ASTRO25 Radio V2 - YouTube

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

There are too many people that come on here and ask "I wanna listen to my local P25 system, I have an XTS-XXXX. What is a system key and where do I get one?" It is clear they have ZERO idea what they are doing and will get smart *ss replys telling them to go buy a scanner because it IS clear that they have no idea the problems they can create not only for them selves but the system owners and users.

As for you, you have been a member for less than a year here and drop this post telling people that, most definatly have a lot more knowlege than you, that they are *ssholes. Attitude begets attitude. And you are going to get lots of 'tude posting the way you did. Personally I could care less about using an XTS to listen to a P25 system, I have a scanner and honestly that's good enough for me. And trying to show someone that does not have the knowlege to properly program a radio as complex as an XTS is contributing to the problem not helping it

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Oh and please do not let the door hit you in the *ss on the way out. Bashing the admins of this board will get you nowhere.

Have a great day;)

CCHLLM

There is absolutely nothing in the You Tube video that isn't already known by practically every XTS2500 or 5000 practitioner who has familiarized themselves with the XTS software and who actually has an idea of how trunking works, so the OP's self-important attitude is completely unwarranted. The programming process is loosely known as "site and talkgroup packing." It's certainly not rocket science, and since MotherMoto trunked systems and XTS models aren't just sold in North America, the fact that someone "overseas" has discovered how to do it is completely insignificant. The programming method in question is how I listen to the Virginia STARS VHF trunked system on my XTS5K.

Last edited:
Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
A portable radio is designed for transmitting. Why would someone want to spend all the money for a portable radio that you only use to listen to? Sure the audio is better than a scanner, but you can only scan up to a few channels at a time, the display on the xts radio does not have near as many characters as a scanner to tag a channel. And not to mention the xts is not designed to be used as a scanner, and you will be spending a tun of money on batteries for the thing. If you are going to use a radio to transmit and you are legally able to do so that's one thing.... But going through all the trouble to have a portable radio designed to function on a trunked network to receive seems a little pointless, Unless your trying to pose as a public safety official.... Which anyone knows would land ur keester in the fryer. Scanners are designed to scan, Radios are designed to transmit....End of story

seberry

Here we go again... Someone wake me up when there is an easy, foolproof way of scanning with a moto. I'll be all in.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
There already is. People seem to think it is some mystery that cannot be done. It has been demonstrated numerous times that it is possible. You can scan up to 32 talkgroups (or 50, depending on the radio you're using).

For most users, a scanner will do them just fine. However, there's a reason that near NO media guys or tow operators use scanners (up this way anyway) - they know they suck and they want a radio that works 100% all the time. Scanners miss too much. They false decode, are very prone to overload (especially by cell sites) and are generally garbage quality.

That said, if you don't need the build quality and want flexibility, then a scanner is totally the right choice.

seberry

What would be awesome is if someone would write that definitive "guide" that gives step by step instructions, etc. Maybe this has been done but I haven't found it.

lafd55

679.jpg

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks, in all honesty - be cool - and let technicians talk technical talk. Sheesh... if you cannot contribute something worthwhile to this thread, then sit back and take a sip of the bourbon, and learn from what might be posted in this thread.

Thanks,

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
What would be awesome is if someone would write that definitive "guide" that gives step by step instructions, etc. Maybe this has been done but I haven't found it.

Here ya go.

No affiliate trunked scan

There are other ways to do it too but this one is time tested and works.

Any further questions I would register on P25.ca. You won't have to deal with the radio popo like here.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.