Scanning Arkansas in early '80s

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

My first scanner was a Bearcat III crystal scanner my grandfather gave me when he bought a Bearcat 220 about 1980 / 1981. If I remember correctly one of the crystals was for 44.62 and another one was 37.240 - were these for Arkansas Highway Police (Troop C / Jonesboro) and Arkansas Sheriffs? I had to change all of the crystals for Nebraska which is where we lived at the time and I remember how bummed out I was because the Bearcat III couldn't monitor UHF, only VHF Low and High! Anyway, can someone tell me what 44.62 and 37.24 were for? Thanks!

I think the early 1980s were the best time for scanning, if you could afford a programmable scanner that is. There wasn't any digital encryption used back then, all police and fire broadcasts were in the clear!

Last edited:

badlans

Premium Subscriber
44.62 was the frequency used by the Arkansas State Police as the primary frequency in specific troops. I used to listen to Troop I and Troop L on that frequency, but I'm sure it was reused elsewhere in the state. 37.24 was used as one of the early interoperability frequencies between sheriff and police departments. I think it was, at one time, called the "Roving, Disaster, and Riot" frequency. It was primarily used for communicating with ASP, because they had 37.24 receivers in the cars. I don't remember if ASP troops monitored 37.20 (base-to-base) or not. Now that I think of it, I think 37.24 was the main way anybody communicated with the ASP.

KB5ILY

Troop G in Hope was also 44.62. Yes, the troops monitored 37.20 and 37.24 and ASP cars only had 37.24. I was at Prescott Police Dept (Nevada County) during that time. Wow, "Roving, Disaster, and Riot" brings back memories. My old Bearcat III is still sitting on my desk and it is plugged in, still works after all these years.

zzdiesel

Troop C did use 44.62 in the early 80's. I liked that Troop C radio because it was so loud & strong. I remember them going out like they did since they were in contract with Missouri as much as they were.

wrr20891

Troop C had one of the last 2,000 watt base stations, you could hear Jonesboro all over the state.
As Travis said, Troop G at Hope was also on 44.62. One morning in the mid 80's, Jonesboro was giving their morning summary, stolen vehicles, wanted persons, etc. As they were putting out one item, a Hope PD car with a 44.62 receiver to monitor Hope heard Jonesboro's wanted vehicle broadcast. It just so happened that the vehicle in question was right in front of him. The Hope officer stopped the vehicle and had the suspect in custody before Jonesboro finished their summary. It was entertaining hearing Jonesboro congratulating him on the radio for the arrest. I think I've told the story before, but, I like it :)

F-1 was 44.74 and was used by Troop J Clarksville, Troop D Forrest City, Troop F Warren and Troop K Hot Springs.
F-2 was 44.62 and used by Troop L Springdale, Troop I Harrison, Troop A Little Rock, Troop G Hope and Troop C Jonesboro
F-3 was 44.66 and used by Troop H Fort Smith, Troop B Newport and Troop E, now Pine Bluff but Dumas back then.

Fond memories of Low Band ASP Radio.

wbswetnam

One morning in the mid 80's, Jonesboro was giving their morning summary, stolen vehicles, wanted persons, etc.

I remember hearing the Nebraska State Patrol (Troop B out of Norfolk) giving out details on stolen vehicles, APBs, etc. every morning on 42.460 back in the early 1980s. Today most police cars have data terminals and receive the hot sheets electronically, so no more announcements these days as before. I also remember lots of activity on 39.900 which was the state-wide law channel for Nebraska, which now is largely silent. I miss the low band days, too...

KB5ILY

One of the patrolmen I worked with in Prescott had moved down from Ringwood New Jersey, at the time both Prescott and Ringwood were on 37.16. From time to time we could hear Ringwood well enough that our officer would recognize an officer in NJ, or would hear an address and knew right where the call was going.

One evening when Ringwood was coming in very well, our officer came into HQ on a coffee break and moved the mic to his side of the desk and called Ringwood NJ on 37.16 and they replied. He had a 10-15 minute conversation with the dispatcher, the Sgt and another officer.

The distance between Prescott, AR 71857 and Ringwood, NJ is 1162.0 miles(1870.0 km).

mancow

Database Admin
That's interoperability right there.

Troop C had one of the last 2,000 watt base stations, you could hear Jonesboro all over the state.
As Travis said, Troop G at Hope was also on 44.62. One morning in the mid 80's, Jonesboro was giving their morning summary, stolen vehicles, wanted persons, etc. As they were putting out one item, a Hope PD car with a 44.62 receiver to monitor Hope heard Jonesboro's wanted vehicle broadcast. It just so happened that the vehicle in question was right in front of him. The Hope officer stopped the vehicle and had the suspect in custody before Jonesboro finished their summary. It was entertaining hearing Jonesboro congratulating him on the radio for the arrest. I think I've told the story before, but, I like it :)

F-1 was 44.74 and was used by Troop J Clarksville, Troop D Forrest City, Troop F Warren and Troop K Hot Springs.
F-2 was 44.62 and used by Troop L Springdale, Troop I Harrison, Troop A Little Rock, Troop G Hope and Troop C Jonesboro
F-3 was 44.66 and used by Troop H Fort Smith, Troop B Newport and Troop E, now Pine Bluff but Dumas back then.

Fond memories of Low Band ASP Radio.

ktedder

Brings back some good memories. I remember listening to ASP troop c out of Jonesboro on 44.62 and the cars were on 44.78 if I remember right. Alo could pick up 44.66 out of Newport . These were the good ole days.

Status
Not open for further replies.