Scanning Downriver Mutual Aid Trunk System (Downriver Simulcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wthom100

Hello -

Wanted to see if anyone is having difficulty scanning the Downriver River Mutual Aid trunked system. I recently set-up this system in my Uniden BCD996XT scanner and it picks nothing up in this system - just keeps scanning for hours with absolutely no hits on anything.

I imported all the frequencies into Freescan from Radio Reference, set the quick keys, imported the control frequencies (and the alternates). I have all the downriver communities set-up as groups in the scanner (Downriver Central, North/South Area Public, Ecorse, Wyandotte, Wood Haven,Flat Rock, Gibraltar, Grosse Ile, Lincoln Park, Melvindale, River Rouge, Southgate, Trenton, etc.). The scanner is not stopping on anything.

Although the trunk system is named Downriver Mutual Aid, the "site" reads from Radio Reference as "Downriver Simulcast" - not sure if that has something to do with the problem I am having. Again, I checked the control frequencies and they are loaded (from RR).

I know some of the communities might have gone to encryption, but I do not think all these communities have gone this way yet.

I live about 25-30 miles north of Downriver area.

Trying to diagnose the issue with no luck. Thought you might all have some suggestions. Have read all the RR forum posts and can find nothing obvious.

Thanks - Wthom100

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
This is just my opinion but you might be too far away. I've tried listening to them from my location on the east side and have never heard anything but I don't have an outdoor antenna. I have driven around downriver with my handheld and the scanner does pickup talk groups (fire dept only) but I had no audio. Reading a previous thread I changed the system from a P25 to a Motorola. I haven't made it back down to see if that helps.

Wthom100

Thanks GPP - interesting suggestion about changing the trunk system name from P25 to something else. I will have to experiment and see if that somehow helps.

You could be right about the distance - but then again I do pick-up other locations pretty good (e.g. you would think if I could pick-up Romulus near metro airport or Detroit Southwest on other channels you would think I could pick-up similar locations at those distances).

Thanks for the reply - I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

Wthom100

QwKiE

Please remember location, location, location. Remember the circle if you are not in there circle you problbly won't hear them.
Most of the Downriver Mutual Aid Trunk System (Downriver Simulcast) is on a very short broadcast system like 10 miles and even less. Like Detroit they want to keep it all close to home.

QwKiE

Just to correct myself, I just looked and there circle is 13 miles center to outside of the circle. I am in Warren MI and it extends as far as 1/2 a mile from me I can't hear them either as I am just outside of that circle.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Just to correct myself, I just looked and there circle is 13 miles center to outside of the circle. I am in Warren MI and it extends as far as 1/2 a mile from me I can't hear them either as I am just outside of that circle.

The circle is a VERY rough estimate, and should only be used as a general idea of range, not an exact range ring, as it does not take terrain, and buildings in to consideration. Being a half mine inside or outside the circle has no bearing. I can pickup the Detroit Simulcast Site all the way up in Pontiac on an XTS 2500. I am not sure where the OP lives.... but I would not write it off as being out of range so easily. I would first take a weekend drive downriver with that scanner, using same settings, and see if you can get anything. That will tell you for sure if it is setup correctly.

Wthom100

Islander -

Thanks for the reply - not sure what you mean by "previous posts" about the scanner settings - can you give me some indication of where I should be looking? I looked at the sticky thread and it appears some people are having issues picking-up anything in the Downriver System - looking through the thread it seems there is some confusion as to what might be wrong - if anything. Guess I will just monitor RR forums and see if anything comes up.

Regards - Wthom100

Last edited:

Wthom100

Finally have been able to receive some transmissions from the Downriver Mutual Aid system. I use a 800 Mhz antenna on my 996XT. I moved my scanner up to the top floor of my house to the bedroom. It seems all that I needed to do was get the scanner higher up (even by only 8 to 10 feet higher).

I now receive Taylor, Brownstown Twp, Trenton, Melvindale, South Central Dispatch, HEMS. I would not say I am getting constant action (like on the Detroit City channels) but I do get some signals that I can listen to.

The signals come in pretty strong. Maybe the trees were blocking the signal on my 2nd floor where the scanner would just keep scanning with no signal hits at all. I live in Bloomfield Twp so the distance is about 30 miles or so.

It is funny how even the slightest change in scanner position can affect receiving (even where it sits on a table can affect receiving!)

Regards - Wthom100

Status
Not open for further replies.