Scanning during t-storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

Listening to my handheld scanner with RS 800mhz ducky during a strong thunderstorm. Could it possibly attract lighting??

n2mdk

Only if your outside, and then your taller than the antenna is unless your holding the scanner over your head.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The other issue is that of a near strike - the amount of energy in that strike could easily damage the front end of a radio.

Don't take chances and play with Mother Nature. She doesn't like it....73 Mike

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
the ducky shouldnt attract lightning from u on the ground just sitting down, why would it? too small unless the lightning is so high generated and in a same area. becides ruining the radio if lightning hit it, i think that there would also be some life threatning damage of you holding it were holding, forget the front end of radio if you get hit by lightning

I've listenend to VHF sheriff coms during that huge tornado and thunderstorn in the northeast. terrible lighting and hugh booms of thunder.
At some points the signal would completely drop then pickup again in full strength.
Someone would be talking then like their radio just stopped, a few seconds later it was back again and he was talking about the same thing, as if he never keyed the mic twice, he just kept on talking to dispatch and dropped out on me but back as if nothing had happened, i think it was some kinda electrical particle thing in electromagnetic energy during storms
its odd things you can pickup during t-storms

Last edited:

rcvmo

The other issue is that of a near strike - the amount of energy in that strike could easily damage the front end of a radio.

Don't forget proximity strikes from the original bolt. I'd seen one Friday morning hit a radio tower, then energy traveled horizontally outward to other objects nearby.
rcvmo

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
Remember, antennas alone don't attract lightning, well-grounded objects often do. Lightning rods don't work because they're vertical and pointed, they work because they're connected to earth ground via a ground rod. If you're in a storm and touch a cold water pipe while holding your scanner high above your head away from trees or telephone poles.. mm.. maybe you'd stand a better chance at getting hit.

Lightning wants the path with the least electrical resistance to get to the earth. Generally that's not through your scanner and body when other objects present themselves with a better option. That being said, you're never immune from a strike and things get hit even though they're terrible conductors to ground.

I've even heard people warning me not to transmit my radio during a storm, it'll attract lightning. Suuuure..

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Aw cummon guys, the simple answer is "no" and there's no worry about front end damage either. Why do you always take something so utterly simple and talk it to death?

It is very important to make sure that any portable scanners are locked in a special lead enclosure during electrical storms if you use the RS duck antenna. Radio shack is well aware of the danger their duck antennas pose, but yet they do nothing about it.

By the way KB2VXA, I prefer questions like this to: "I am looking for a scanner and don't know which one to get please help". At least this question was funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.