Scanning for p25 control channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I live in centrel minnesota where everything is p25. I have programmed nearby sites into my scanners (996p2 and 325p2). I understand the basics of trunked systems but wondering how to scan for p25 control channels so that I dont have to program the entire state (i have a freescan template for that) or worse yet when i visit my folks in wisconsin and i dont have to program half of wisconsoin to do so. Cant i just scan for the control channels on the fly and have the scanner search for ids?

kma371

QRT
Just program the sites of the control channels you can hear or sites in your general area. That's the easiest way.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No. You cannot derive the properties of an entire system from a control channel.

What you really want is a 436 or 536 and a GPS, so that the scanner can automatically monitor local system sites, and toggle them on and off as needed when traveling.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you'd find much success in scanning for control channels. Your scanner will "latch on to" the first control channel it finds and use that until you get out of range. Problem could be that the control channel is for something that you are not interested in, such as a business, local utility, etc.

I've got a fair amount of experience with scanning the Minnesota and Wisconsion systems during trips from Louisville to Grand Forks. I programmed all the sites along my route and the talkgroups I was interested in monitoring. Fortunately I had a GPS device connected so the appropriate sites would be turned on/off.

The scanners I had in the past were the "older" siblings to what you have. This line of scanners isn't very friendly to large statewide systems such as Minnesota and to a lesser extent Wisconsin. That's due to memory constraints.

To overcome that, I had to break things down into regaions so as to respect memory limits. It took some research and lots of programming time, but was done successfully.

I've since got the 436 and 536 - they have more memory capacity and programming statewide systems isn't such a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.