Scanning in an aluminum sided house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eastie

Hi RR members,

I am wondering if the aluminum siding of my house is affecting the range of my scanner...

Is there anything I can do to get more reception without sticking an antenna out the window or mounting one?

Are there any indoor antennas that may help with my problem? I'd like to just put one near the window..

Scanning is the only thing that keeps me entertained in the winter months here in Boston.

PRO-163

pinetree

I have the same problem. This is my solution. It works great. The metal strip that the mag mounts are on I got at a hardware store.

Attachments

• FSCN0226.JPG
    FSCN0226.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 367

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi RR members,

I am wondering if the aluminum siding of my house is affecting the range of my scanner...

Is there anything I can do to get more reception without sticking an antenna out the window or mounting one?

Are there any indoor antennas that may help with my problem? I'd like to just put one near the window..

Scanning is the only thing that keeps me entertained in the winter months here in Boston.

PRO-163

Try various mag mount antennas on a file cabinet or steel wardrobe cabinet.
n9zas

madhatter66

I have the same problem... I get horrible reception in my house because of aluminum siding... I can be listening to something perfectly, and walk in the front door and get nothing... I find it take a harder hit in the 800 band, but everything is more or less effected... The only way I found to get 800 indoors was using the RS 800 antenna... Using my Diamond RH77CA I can get a ton of different stuff outside, but inside is a different story... Anything that is weak, or scratchy I can't get at all when indoors...

I did put an antenna outside for my base scanner, and get a much better signal... FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.