Scanning in Jamaica?

Status
Not open for further replies.

md_p97

Has anyone ever brought a scanner to Jamaica?

I am planning on bringing my Pro-97 but can't find anything conclusive on whether or not it is illegal.

Any help (especially from you UK folks) would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Not too sure why us Brits would have any more info on the scanning laws in Jamaica :D

It may be "one of ours" but I reckon they'd have their own customs and laws regarding scannerz0rs.

rpowley

Stongsignals had a page I would use as a reference before traveling out of the US, but the site has been down for a couple of days. My standard practice when traveling is, be discreet - I never walk around with a scanner and leave it in my bag until I get to where I'm staying. I normally carry it with my cameras and video stuff. I've never had any issues going through any immigration or customs in various countries.

Rochound2003

Scanners in Jamaica

Here is a link to the Jamaican Radio and Telegraph Control Act. It appears that any reception beyond broadcast is illegal and any radio capable of reception beyond broadcast is also illegal to possess( I am not a lawyer so what do I know). My wife is from Jamaica and when we visited last Christmas I left my scanners home. Jamaica has a very high crime rate which like the US is concentrated around the cities (Mainly Kingston) but is moving into the rural areas as well. Be careful if you don't have local family or friends or are not a seasoned third world traveler stick close to the tourist areas and watch out on the roads as traffic safety is non-existant. There are many good people in Jamaica, it is a very friendly country but the high rate of unemployment and imported US hip hop is creating a large drug culture(not just pot, crack and meth are also there). My wife could not believe the difference in the five years she had been away. I don't mean to scare you just realize that it is not the US and keep your head about you and you will have a wonderful time. If the new Prime Minister can get the economy rolling and curb the drugs, Jamaica could really be paradise again (it almost is now). Hope you have a wonderful time.

http://www.caricomlaw.org/docs/Radio and Telegraph Control Act.pdf

P.S. If you are in Ocho Rios stop at Island Grill (near the cruiseship port), awsome fast food. You also want to try Grapenut Icecream.

blayz

Scanning in Jamaica

Scanning in Jamaica is not illegal,according to the law persons can tune in to radio frequencies without a permit. What is illegal is transmitting/broadcasting without a Amateur Radio License. Which you can obtain by filling out a form,paying a fee and becoming a member of the The Jamaica Amateur Radio Association .

For more in-depth information,local frequencies and application forms vist

http://www.jamaicaham.org/index.html

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Rochound and all,

Just to set the record straight, Jamaica has had those problems from the very beginning. While American Hip Hop may have influenced the culture there has always been Reggae, the Rastafarans and drugs, marijuana in particular. Never mind all that, it's not our problem

The point is to stick to the tourist areas which offer some protection and never wander off the beaten path as stray tourists are pretty obvious targets. It's a lovely place with friendly people BUT you wouldn't want to go into any of our ghetto areas either.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
If you are going there via a cruise, a safe thing to do is just leave it on the cruise ship. If you are flying in, best thing would be not to have it in public, it would definitely draw attention to you and that is what you don't want to do. Then, eveything will be I-ree!

How To Speak Jamacian

Status
Not open for further replies.