Scanning in KW...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon23

Hello all... nice forum!
I just inherited an old PRO-2022 scanner :) I have had allot of fun learning how to use this scanner but I am sick of only hearing bits and pieces of the conversation whilst trying to listen to the local cops. :( I have learned through this great site that I am only hearing part of the conversations because I don't have a truncating radio... Correct so far ?
SO, I would like to buy a used scanner that can pick up and follow the trunked systems in this area listed here: http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=4327
By the looks of it I don't need a digital scanner to listen... is this correct?
I see many different types for sale on e-bay and wonder what the minimum requirement would be around here?
I appreciate any and all replies!
Sincerely Jon

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
jon23 said:
Hello all... nice forum!
I just inherited an old PRO-2022 scanner :) I have had allot of fun learning how to use this scanner but I am sick of only hearing bits and pieces of the conversation whilst trying to listen to the local cops. :( I have learned through this great site that I am only hearing part of the conversations because I don't have a truncating radio... Correct so far ?
That is correct, you need a Trunk Tracking scanner capable of tracking an Edacs system.
SO, I would like to buy a used scanner that can pick up and follow the trunked systems in this area listed here: http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=4327
I think you mean this system here ?
By the looks of it I don't need a digital scanner to listen... is this correct?
If you just want to listen to the Waterloo Public safety system then no, if you want to listen to the OPP in this area too then yes you do need a digital scanner.
I see many different types for sale on e-bay and wonder what the minimum requirement would be around here?
If all you want to listen to is the Waterloo Edacs system then a Pro93/95 or a BC245XLT or BC246T would be a good choice. If you want to listen to ambulance which is on the Bell Fleetnet system along with the Edacs system the you will need at least a Uniden BC245XLT or a BC246T.
I appreciate any and all replies!
Sincerely Jon
No problem Jon, thats what we are here for. :)

jon23

Thanks for the reply!
I think I understand now :) If I want to hear more than just the local cops a digital scanner is a must. So does that limit my choices to a pro-96 or a bcd396T?
Hey ve3nsv is there a good local store that deals with this stuff now that Radio Shack is gone? or is Ebay the best source?
Thanks again !
Regards Jon

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Lazer audio in Baden still sells scanners the last time I checked, give Tedd a call at 519-634-5949.

69stiles

Radio Shack's pro-97 is a great radio for Waterloo Region. I ran across the border & bought one when they were onsale for $150.

Lazer doesn't carry any RS radio's, only Uniden. They are good too but much more expensive. I've used ebay a lot since there isn't many retailers around here.

I've had the following radio's that work great around here....(non digital)

RS
Pro-93
pro-94
pro-95
pro-97
pro-2053

& Uniden's br330t my favourite so far

Status
Not open for further replies.