Scanning in Marion County/Ocala area

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedtoKnow2

I have a Uniden Patrol II scanner that is picking up NOTHING in the Ocala region. I have 591 frequencies programed among several dozen agencies in a four county area within 20 miles. Someone on the Uniden forum said that many agencies are encrypted, implying that I won't hear anything on any radio.
How true is that statement? Are scanner's mostly useless in Marion County?

Here is my programmed list:
Natl Interagency Fire Center - USAOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
Itinerant Businesses - USAOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
National Interagency Fire Center - USAOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
Public Safety - USAOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
AlachuaOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
CitrusOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
HernandoOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
LakeOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
LevyOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
MarionOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
BusinessOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
BusinessesOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
FL Common/SharedOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
FL Department of Environmental ProtectionOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
FL Department of TransportationOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
FL Division of Emergency ManagementOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
FL Forest ServiceOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
FL MedevacOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
UtilitiesOffConventionalOffIgnoreNAC Search
Alachua County - Gainesville Regional Utilities (GRUCom ProjectOffP25 X2-TDMAOffIgnoreNAC Search
Basic Two-Way Radio (Williston)OffLTROffIgnoreNAC Search
Citrus County Public ServicesOffMotorolaOffOffIgnoreNAC Search
Citrus County Public Services (P25) SystemOffP25 StandardOffIgnoreNAC Search
Duke Energy (Florida)OffMotorolaOffOffIgnoreNAC Search
Gainesville / Alachua CountyOffMotorolaOffOffIgnoreNAC Search
Hernando CountyOffMotorolaOffOffIgnoreNAC Search
Marion County FL Public SafetyOffP25 StandardOffIgnoreNAC Search
Ocala Public SafetyOffP25 StandardOffIgnoreNAC Search
Public Safety Interoperable Communications Network (PSIC)OffP25 StandardOffIgnoreNAC Search
Reidy Rhodes and Taylor Communications (Gainesville)OffLTROffIgnoreNAC Search
Statewide Law Enforcement Radio System (P25)OffP25 StandardOffIgnoreNAC Search
Sumter County Public Safety SystemOffP25 StandardOffIgnoreNAC Search
Tri-Co Communications (The Villages)OffLTROffIgnoreNAC Search

Last edited:

whooey

What are the "off" columns? Are the scanlists enabled? I do know you cannot pickup Alachua county until you are north of Hwy 326.

NeedtoKnow2

What are the "off" columns? Are the scanlists enabled? I do know you cannot pickup Alachua county until you are north of Hwy 326.
Most of the "Offs" are "Avoid". The others are "ID: Search" and "Emergency Alert".

It is scanning. It cycles through the scan list about every 8 seconds. Over 500 frequencies in the list.

I did hear my first words from the scanner for 1 second, twice, after having it on this morning for two hours. It was too quick to see what agency it was. It's activity here is non-existent compared to the rural areas of the North Carolina mountains.

If the scanner is working and I have it set up properly, how much activity should I expect to hear in the Ocala/Marion County region?

Last edited:

edweirdFL

My first impression is that list is long enough that it's going to be easy to miss things if you are trying to scan all of that at the same time. Most of what I have programmed is not in your area but here are some I have heard.

FL Forest Service 159.270 Orlando Dist 91.5 PL
FL Forest Service 159.450 Bunnell Dist 100.0 PL

Will your scanner pickup the National Weather Service station(s)?

khvfdff

Marion county and Ocala are all encrypted and that also includes Lake County. Not sure about Sumter County. Alachua County you won’t hear until north of CR 326. Putnam County, you may or may not hear depending on their vhf reception. Volusia is monitorable, not sure how their range is, meaning how far into Marion County they read. Local Forestry is about the only thing you will hear and maybe the occasional hospital communication on the UHF med channels. But that’s about it.

NeedtoKnow2

My first impression is that list is long enough that it's going to be easy to miss things if you are trying to scan all of that at the same time. Most of what I have programmed is not in your area but here are some I have heard.

FL Forest Service 159.270 Orlando Dist 91.5 PL
FL Forest Service 159.450 Bunnell Dist 100.0 PL

Will your scanner pickup the National Weather Service station(s)?
Yes, it does. One faint and one stong.

NeedtoKnow2

Marion county and Ocala are all encrypted and that also includes Lake County. Not sure about Sumter County. Alachua County you won’t hear until north of CR 326. Putnam County, you may or may not hear depending on their vhf reception. Volusia is monitorable, not sure how their range is, meaning how far into Marion County they read. Local Forestry is about the only thing you will hear and maybe the occasional hospital communication on the UHF med channels. But that’s about it.
Thanks. That pretty much explains why I get one very brief hit every 30 minutes or so. I probably need to dwell on hits more than a second or two.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Just my opinion, but, first, it certainly sounds like you know what you are doing. No doubt there. But if you increase dwell time, won't that then make for longer scan times.? Like others have said, try cutting down the list a bit. Can you just turn off favorites lists? I don't have the same scanner so I'm not sure. I agree that you should hear something, but possibly the sheer number of channels you are monitoring, plus possible simulcast and encryption problems, could make life not so good.

As you know, encryption cannot be heard ever. If there are simulcast issues, you may have to buy a SDS model. I just got my old system up and running in York, and find out we are heavily simulcast here; there goes money for a SDS100.

And, I just thought of something, albeit a little bit out there. Perhaps if you went to the broadcast web sites, and attempt to monitor what you are looking for, perhaps that will give you some info as to what you can/cannot monitor. Just a suggestion. FWIW. Good Luck; I know its frustrating. Greg

EDIT. I just saw Phask's post above me. I wasn't trying to copy his idea.

NeedtoKnow2

Just my opinion, but, first, it certainly sounds like you know what you are doing. No doubt there. But if you increase dwell time, won't that then make for longer scan times.? Like others have said, try cutting down the list a bit. Can you just turn off favorites lists? I don't have the same scanner so I'm not sure. I agree that you should hear something, but possibly the sheer number of channels you are monitoring, plus possible simulcast and encryption problems, could make life not so good.

As you know, encryption cannot be heard ever. If there are simulcast issues, you may have to buy a SDS model. I just got my old system up and running in York, and find out we are heavily simulcast here; there goes money for a SDS100.

And, I just thought of something, albeit a little bit out there. Perhaps if you went to the broadcast web sites, and attempt to monitor what you are looking for, perhaps that will give you some info as to what you can/cannot monitor. Just a suggestion. FWIW. Good Luck; I know its frustrating. Greg

EDIT. I just saw Phask's post above me. I wasn't trying to copy his idea.
I cut my stations down to below 100. Scan time is 5 to 7 seconds for scanning those stations. The "dwell time" as I understand it, is the duration on that frequency once the radio stops on a transmission. I don't get a "hit" on a broadcast but once every 10 to 15 minutes, so that increased dwell time does not slow down the scanning unless there is a hit on a broadcast which in my case isn't very often.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
You could be very right about dwell time. I thought dwell time was the time the scanner stayed on a frequency before moving on, talk or not. I've been wrong before. Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.