Scanning in the Rapid City Area

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Heya fellas.

I’ll be moving to rapid city in the spring, and I’d love to get any intel on how the environment is out in that part of the country.

Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

clayburgh

Premium Subscriber
Most traffic will be on the South Dakota P-25 trunked digital system. Some traffic is still on analog, but it is rare. Mil Air from nearby Ellsworth is also easily received. Much weather related activities will be on all services. The databases here on Radio Reference are mostly accurate, but thngs do change. Also, Welcome to the area.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Most traffic will be on the South Dakota P-25 trunked digital system. Some traffic is still on analog, but it is rare. Mil Air from nearby Ellsworth is also easily received. Much weather related activities will be on all services. The databases here on Radio Reference are mostly accurate, but thngs do change. Also, Welcome to the area.

appreciate it.

does mt Rushmore have anything that’s usually interesting to listen to? Like Law Enforcement or Park operations?

tvengr

Well Known Member
On the P25 statewide system:

National Park Service

DEC HEX Mode Alpha TagDescriptionTag
1827723DNPS BadlandsBadlands National ParkFederal
19907c6DNPS Mt RushmoreMt Rushmore National MemorialFederal

KC0LOE

FYI, Rapid PD, Pennington County SO, and Highway Patrol are going to be encrypting their talk groups this spring.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
FYI, Rapid PD, Pennington County SO, and Highway Patrol are going to be encrypting their talk groups this spring.
Wonder if they're encrypting all of their talk groups or only special ops, car-to-car, and info? Some places in the country have left dispatch unencrypted with an eye towards public accountability, and they only encrypt what really needs privacy. If they encrypt all police talk-groups, listening is going to get a lot more boring, and accountability and trust take a hit.

Last edited:

KC0LOE

Wonder if they're encrypting all of their talk groups or only special ops, car-to-car, and info? Some places in the country have left dispatch unencrypted with an eye towards public accountability, and they only encrypt what really needs privacy. If they encrypt all police talk-groups, listening is going to get a lot more boring, and accountability and trust take a hit.
My understanding is all LE talk groups for Rapid PD and Pennington SO will be encrypted. I was also told Sioux Falls PD and Minnehaha SO will be encrypting, once their P25 upgrade is complete this year sometime.