scanning looks complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terp

compared to the scanners years ago these new scanners sure look confusing. I just read Easy to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital scanner manual boy my head is about to explode. I'm supposed to get a PSR 500 next week, hope I can learn it.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Scanning looks complicated

I belive that any day now, community colleges are going to start offering courses called "Scanning 101" for ease in programming these super high tech ulcer makers & marraige breakers. Stay tuned.

FLRAILMAN

SCPD

QRT
Terp, Hang in there, it's not so bad once you get a picture on how things are laid out using the software.. REl easy & as always lotsa GReat people here to help !:)
Paul. I have the Pro 197 (since August) & Its probably the best one I've owned in the 25 or so years I have been into scanners . I 've had almost everyone made hehe
Paul
Alos rread over some of these links ya will learn lots Programming Shortcut PSR-500/600 RS Pro-106/197 - The RadioReference Wiki , Category:programming FAQs and Tips - The RadioReference Wiki, GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanners FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

qlajlu

Silent Key
compared to the scanners years ago these new scanners sure look confusing. I just read Easy to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital scanner manual boy my head is about to explode. I'm supposed to get a PSR 500 next week, hope I can learn it.

Basically, each scanner these days are mini computers. Indeed, they have a CPU and the whole nine yards. That being said, you have made an excellent choice, in my not so humble opinion. :lol:

You already have a Premium Membership, so once you get your scanner, you should consider software so you can effortlessly program it, too.

You will find the software recommended here:
  1. WIN500 (My personal favorite)
  2. PSREdit500
  3. ARC Software by Butel
There is a 30-day free trial period with all of the software so you can select the one that best suits your needs.

Good luck, and remember that if you have questions/problems, you can post them here (preferably in the GRE Forum since it is a PSR-500) and you will find all kinds of help being offered. Software issues need to be posted in the Software Forum.

jleverin

First of all, AVOID reading those scanner manuals! They will make your head spin and you'll end up not understanding the first thing about how to program your scanner. I learned most of what I needed to program my scanners by coming on here and reading the forums and wiki info. The subscription of $15 is well worth it to access the information that can really help you. I don't know about he PSR scanners but I used the Don Starr programs for my RS scanners and they made it much easier than trying to do it by hand. I've had a real learning experience in order to stay with scanning lately. My local agencies finally switched off analog systems to the DTRS system, I had almost given up trying to program the digital stuff into my scanner until I really sat down and looked up the information on this site. It made it possible now to hear agencies that had dropped off for me, I'm having fun with radios again...If you don't understand, ask questions AFTER you try looking in the reference sections. There are many people who can help......Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.