SDS100/SDS200: Scanning LoRa?

N4SRN

Premium Subscriber
While I read up on LoRa, can I use my SDS100/200 to scan and record “hits” of LoRa transmissions? I think Meshtastic uses AES256-CTR encryption on the 915 MHz ISM band…

Really, what I’m trying to do, is see if anyone nearby is using LoRa before I bother to build another radio that operates in silence…

Every now and again, I’m startled when my FRS radio, set to scan constantly, pops up with some chatter at a restaurant or daycare by some rare propagation event!

BRET/N4SRN

ecps92

While I read up on LoRa, can I use my SDS100/200 to scan and record “hits” of LoRa transmissions? I think Meshtastic uses AES256-CTR encryption on the 915 MHz ISM band…

Really, what I’m trying to do, is see if anyone nearby is using LoRa before I bother to build another radio that operates in silence…

Every now and again, I’m startled when my FRS radio, set to scan constantly, pops up with some chatter at a restaurant or daycare by some rare propagation event!

BRET/N4SRN
Are you sure it's Propagation and not just a near-by user(s) ?

ecps92

Could be, but the conversations are definitely daycares and restaurants, which operate daily, but I hear them rarely.
Depending on the terrain and buildings, if truely FRS then it's local. (based on power and crappy antennas they have)
I'm within a 1/4 mi of a mall and reception varies, by Bldg (Brick/Metal), floor they are on etc
Even within the mall lots it varies.