Scanning Monthly from the 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotoMoMo

Did anyone get this magazine type publication back in the early 90's? All I can remember is that it was black and white. I'm not sure if it was put out by bearcat or what. Just a little blast from the past for those of you who know what i'm talking about.

dwh367

Did anyone get this magazine type publication back in the early 90's? All I can remember is that it was black and white. I'm not sure if it was put out by bearcat or what. Just a little blast from the past for those of you who know what i'm talking about.

I used to get "National Scanning" which was put out by the Bearcat Radio Club back then. Description sounds correct anyway.

wb0wao

IIRC even further back in the late '70's or early '80's there was a glossy color magazine put out by Bearcat I believe. Thinking back, that time period was what I consider the "golden age of scanning" the first programmable scanners were coming out, so you could easily tune around and find the new ones without having to have a drawer full of xtals <grin>. Most of us had a 10 or 20 channel xtal scanner that we used to monitor the local stuff - PD's, Fire, etc. and then used the programmable ones for finding the new ones. I can remember one of my friends and myself (we both worked at the Sheriff's Office BTW) going about once a month to the FCC office in Kansas City to search the microfiche to identify who was licensed for a particular frequency that we intercepted. Most of the public safety stuff we could verify by either looking it up in Police Call or (given our jobs) making a discrete call to the agency.

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.