Scanning Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

hd883chopper

Greetings Radio Fans - Great forum!
I have a pretty basic question but I am a noobie to the radio world. I have an opportunity to purchase a Radioshack Pro 96 Digital with trunking capabilities. My question (before purchase) is this: Is Nashville Metro or the Fire Dept encrypting thier transmissions? Simply put, would the Pro 96 give me the ability to "read the mail" here in Davidson County?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
hd.

click23

Premium Subscriber
According to the database, Nashville/Davidson County System Trunking System, Nashville, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies, only the following are encrypted.

NPD Central Crime Suppression Unit
NPD East Crime Suppression Unit
NPD Hermitage Crime Suppression Unit
NPD Intelligence Alternate
NPD Intelligence Primary
NPD Investigative Services Channel 2
NPD Investigative Services Channel 3
NPD Investigative Services Channel 4
NPD Negotiators Channel 1
NPD Negotiators Channel 2
NPD North Crime Suppression Unit
NPD Office of Accountability1
NPD Office of Accountability2
NPD South Crime Suppression Unit
NPD SWAT Negotiation Channel 2
NPD SWAT Negotiation Channel 3
NPD SWAT Operations Channel 4
NPD SWAT Operations Channel 5
NPD SWAT Operations Channel 6
NPD SWAT Operations Channel 7
NPD Task Force 20
NPD Vice Operations Channel 1
NPD Vice Operations Channel 2
NPD Vice Operations Channel 3
NPD Vice Operations Channel 4
NPD Vice Operations Channel 5
NPD West Crime Suppression Unit

hd883chopper

Thanks Click. I see the list in the DB you are referring to and since most of the other channels are listed digital I should be able to pick those up with the Pro 96 right?

Another noob question if I may.
Some websites list the Nashville freq in the 155's for Metro, 458's and 460's for Fire etc. What confuses me is when people say that these agencies transmit in 800. So which is it? Or do they transmit on both?

According to the spec's in the manuel, the Pro 96 only receives part of the 800MHz band. See below.
Pro 96 receives:
25-54 MHz
108-136.9875 MHz
137-174 MHz
216.0025-225 MHz
406-512 MHz

806-823.9875 MHZ
849-868.9875 MHz
894-960 MHz

1240-1300 MHz

Thanks again for the tips.
hd.

TRamrod38

I talked to a guy that work with the EMA in Williamson Co. and he said that the Franklin PD is the only one that he knows of that is going 800 Mhz Encrypted at the end of year or at the first of the year, it is presently being tested.

bearhiker

Need help scanning Nashville

Hi folks,

I have two scanners, an older RS Pro95 and digital Pro96. I have manually entered many frequencies into the older scanner and it does very well in non-digital areas such as the counties surrounding Nashville. All I know about scanning Nashville is that bank 9 on the Pro 96 receives some channels, but not much. Can someone give me some clues to learn how to get the Pro 96 programmed to be able to listen to Nashville. I seem to get more city bus drivers than police freqs.

Thanks

bh

hd883chopper

Hi folks,

I have two scanners, an older RS Pro95 and digital Pro96. I have manually entered many frequencies into the older scanner and it does very well in non-digital areas such as the counties surrounding Nashville. All I know about scanning Nashville is that bank 9 on the Pro 96 receives some channels, but not much. Can someone give me some clues to learn how to get the Pro 96 programmed to be able to listen to Nashville. I seem to get more city bus drivers than police freqs.

Hey Bearhiker. Well I'm kinda new to all this two, but here's a few things I picked up in the past few days of experimenting with the Pro 96.

1. Check out the Win96 software offered online. It's about $30.00 but it sure makes life easy when programming the freq's.
2. Subscribe to this Forum. It's about $15.00 for 6 months and it works directly with Win96 for easy downloading.

This was a no brainer for me. Being a novice and no one to help, I needed all the tools and advantages I could get my hands on. The cool thing is that you can download and mess around with the data. If you mess it up in the scanner, simply wipe it out and do another data dump from Win96.

Hope this helps.

Chopper.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Could not agree more. Don't forget the cable to hook computer to scanner.
Win96 has a lot of features you can't do manually programming.
PM me when you get all of this and I will send you a p96 file for city of Nashville.

hd883chopper

Could not agree more. Don't forget the cable to hook computer to scanner.
Win96 has a lot of features you can't do manually programming.
PM me when you get all of this and I will send you a p96 file for city of Nashville.

Very cool. I would love to see the file. PM'ing now.
Thanks!
Chopper

Status
Not open for further replies.