Scanning Newfoundland

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

primehifi

I just wanted to start a proper thread dedicated to discussion of scanning in Newfoundland.

Unknowns, news, new freqs, changes, TAFL finds, etc.

There's a lot of unknown stuff out there and the DB doesn't permit unknown info so lets begin sorting some of it out.

P

primehifi

013 (D) St John's Kenmount Hill N/A 01 158.76000c 02 159.27000 03 161.40000 04 161.04000

I think this is incorrect. Need to test it but I'm pretty certain that there is a frequency missing (158.5800) and that 2700 is the control channel not 7600, and 161.400 isn't at that site.
Still working this out.

Last edited:
P

primehifi

Also, in case anyone is out that way, try the SCAT site in the db called "Torbay" it's not Torbay, but something closer to Hodgewater Line or Brigus area on the highway.

P

primehifi

This is for Kenmount site on NL Prov EDACS RNC/RCMP.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,134
Last edited:
P

primehifi

LCN4 on Shea Heights site 162.1200 is gone 5 bars, keyed up. Just carrier noise at the moment. Been like it for a week. It did this back in November sometime as well, but I didn't catch any traffic. Unitrunker isn't giving me anything. No idea whats up.

I did catch the techs doing some work up till Christmas holidays on Spaniards Bay and Hawkes Hill sites and I think they were at Shea Heights at least once as well. I'm guessing they're working on getting these sites on P25, but I won't hold my breath.

02_grandam

I'm scanning outside of St. Johns with an older Pro2024, not much to be heard though, beside Environment Canada's weatherf forrecast :lol:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm scanning outside of St. Johns with an older Pro2024, not much to be heard though, beside Environment Canada's weatherf forrecast :lol:

Well, actually, thanks to the heroic efforts of hfxChris, all the data I had recorded on my trip last year (or at least all the data that is suitable for publishing on RR) is now in the DB, so look again and see if something is in your range. :)

Jay911

Feed Provider
013 (D) St John's Kenmount Hill N/A 01 158.76000c 02 159.27000 03 161.40000 04 161.04000

I think this is incorrect. Need to test it but I'm pretty certain that there is a frequency missing (158.5800) and that 2700 is the control channel not 7600, and 161.400 isn't at that site.
Still working this out.

159.27 and 158.76 should probably be both considered control channels (or at least one is an alternate) because I definitely have had CC on 158.76 before. As for freqs being from other sites, I seem to recall having trouble differentiating between site 13's LCN3/4 and site 14's LCN 3/4, because they're both broadcasting the same traffic at the same time.

Try it with 158.58 in place of 161.4 on one of those sites.

Also, in case anyone is out that way, try the SCAT site in the db called "Torbay" it's not Torbay, but something closer to Hodgewater Line or Brigus area on the highway.

That's only been called that because that's where I was when I received it, so that's how I submitted it. A lot of the site names for both this system and the P25 system could be way off. (It's too bad the frequencies aren't in TAFL because then we'd know for sure where they are.)

Also, here's my HP1 file as I promised previous to the holidays. Sorry it took so long.

Last edited:

hfxChris

Database Admin
Well, actually, thanks to the heroic efforts of hfxChris, all the data I had recorded on my trip last year (or at least all the data that is suitable for publishing on RR) is now in the DB, so look again and see if something is in your range. :)

Your Avalon update was bordering on cruel :) but I was able to work through it and I hope got everything added or updated.

P

primehifi

Excellent update. Looks fantastic. Well done to you both.

P

primehifi

Jay. Having trouble working with that hpe file. Nothing I have, arc or the hp stock software will open it.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I just downloaded the copy from the post, unzipped it, and imported it, and it worked fine..

Make sure you unzip Newfoundland.zip into Newfoundland.hpe, then in Sentinel, choose "File>Import from hpe file" - choose a favorites list or create a new one - then select the unzipped .hpe file.

You may have to have Extreme Upgrade to do this, but I don't think so.

P

primehifi

Cool. Ok. I could of sworn I did this.

I have the extreme update so shouldn't be an issue there. Will try again later.

VO1GXG

I've spent many hours tracking frequencies in the Avalon Region, just so happens as an electronics technician i do alot of driving around metro and around the province. as for the EDACS system that is being replaced by a P25 digital system for the RNC in the coming year or two which i'm quite happy for! i've posted alot of information to the database but it seems alot of it does not meet the guidelines and i really don't feel like spending more time then necessary to make it meet the guidelines!

P

primehifi

Yeah we should be sharing found info and unknowns in the forums.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Don't be afraid to use our wiki to house your information. Our requirements are far and away less stringent and you get to do all the editing yourself.....no DBAs involved...

Mike

mciupa

Database Admin
Don't be afraid to use our wiki to house your information. Our requirements are far and away less stringent and you get to do all the editing yourself.....no DBAs involved...

Mike

VO1GXG, please take up Mike's offer to post the info in the Wiki.

If you do not wish to edit the Wiki page yourself, I will gladly do it if you can send the info my way. :)

**EDIT** I read over your submission in the queue and it seems that for the sake of finding out some PL/DPL's and being a little more descriptive
for some agencies, that your info would be added to the database.

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
Hi folks,
I found some things out while analyzing/poring over my old P25 logs from last year. I'm posting them here instead of submitting them because the data isn't necessarily verified enough to count as validated data for the RRDB. It's information that is found from data transmitted through the P25 control channel stream.

There is a talkgroup called the announcement group or ATG - if dispatchers had a reason to want to transmit a voice message to the entire system (in my area, the police use it as a "calling all cars" type of broadcast), they'd use this talkgroup. It shows up, at least on the Gander site, as 686. There's no guarantee at all that you'll ever hear anything on this TG, but if a dispatcher keys up the announcement group, you will.

Each site is reporting adjacent sites or "neighbors", sites which are the "next closest" geographically to the current site. I'm seeing some RFSS/site numbers I haven't seen before and some frequencies that I don't think we've captured yet either.

Site 028-001 (Grand Falls-Windsor) has the following neighbors:

026-001 (154.04)
027-001 (154.98)
029-001 (154.10)
030-001 (154.65)
031-001 (155.16)
034-001 (154.74)

Site 033-001 (Gander) has the following neighbors:

032-001 (154.65)
034-001 (154.74)
035-001 (154.98)
036-001 (154.68)
037-001 (154.95)
038-001 (154.77)
050-001 (154.65)

I'm not sure about that 050-001 as 50 decimal = 32 hex, and the freq is the same as 032-001.

I will be back in the province for Targa and for at least one week later in the month for a family vacation. If things really work out, I'll be connecting those two trips with the middle week (after Targa and before my vacation) so I'll be spending lots of September on "the rock"! :D

Jay911

Feed Provider
Hey again folks,
I'm in the process of going through my old data from last year as I've refined my "P25 decoding spreadsheet" a bit. I'm discovering more neighbor sites and alternate control channels for many sites, as well as CC data for some sites I thought I'd lost. I'll submit it once I'm done (probably late tonight or some time tomorrow as I have tried several times over the past week to collate my data and lost it each time due to idiotic screw-ups). That which doesn't get approved for DB inclusion will be put in the wiki page for the P25 system, which I will link to when I create it. Also on that wiki page I'll put my latest HP1 .hpe file for the P25 system, which again will be built after I finish the collation.

I am confirmed to be in-province from September 8 to September 29. The first large chunk will involve working with Targa, so I won't be doing too much scanning or roaming, and the latter 2/3 will involve meeting with friends and family, and doing my road trip/scanning/roaming. Those of you with ham APRS rigs, if you see VE6SRT-7, say hi. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.