Scanning Old School Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JOD

Premium Subscriber
Took this GE Search 2Plus2 off the shelf tonight. My dad bought me a GE Search when I was a young kid. That was many, many, well a lot of years ago. A couple of weeks later he walk in with this one for himself. We had a great time listening to public safety back then. He past away 15 years ago and I found this while cleaning up some of his belongings. I disassembled it and gave it a once over to make sure in was still in good running order. After some cleaning of the controls, I fired it up and it is works great. I wish I had not sold the one he gave me.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Took this GE Search 2Plus2 off the shelf tonight. My dad bought me a GE Search when I was a young kid. That was many, many, well a lot of years ago. A couple of weeks later he walk in with this one for himself. We had a great time listening to public safety back then. He past away 15 years ago and I found this while cleaning up some of his belongings. I disassembled it and gave it a once over to make sure in was still in good running order. After some cleaning of the controls, I fired it up and it is works great. I wish I had not sold the one he gave me.

That's one I never saw in my 60 years of monitoring! Thanks for sharing the picture and the story. Nothing better in life of fond memories as we age.

KB8RQH

Premium Subscriber
What are you scanning tonight?
Now I am using a new Uniden SDS200 and a Home Patrol 1 & 2. The ones I have now will be my last! Getting to old to understand how to program them. I also have a 39.58 crystal, if someone wants it. Be glad to send it to whomever can use it.

KB8RQH

Premium Subscriber
Love the Home Patrol's ! Simple,for us older scanner nuts! Scanning PD and Fire/EMS.
Have some close friends on both depts yet.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for posting this. I think we all have memories of our first encounters with rigs that either impressed us or got us into the game. I don't remember that particular (very cool) model, but had several encounters with other GE receivers which I remembered as extremely great in rx and tonal quality. I'm sure firing it up brings back memories of sharing the hobby with your dad. I'm grateful that while my father is still alive we've been able to revisit my youth. I'm about to hook him up with a XTL1500 to monitor his local area public service. I already helped him get his General, and set him up with Motorola DMR, a hotspot, and a dual band Icom I restored from the time we first explored ham/scanning radio. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Just a few months ago we raised a dual band antenna 20 feet which has worked absolutely flawlessly for him.

My best days are when I unexpectedly hear him talking with others on the local FM or DMR repeaters on my way to work and enjoying what I've been able to provide him with

Cutting onions over here....

KB8RQH

Premium Subscriber
Nice rigs. Dang, I miss the crystal days. Sure was a simpler time.
I agree ! Just go to Rat Shack and order crystal. Wait a couple weeks and go back and pick it up! Like Christmas!! SIMPLE!!
Put in it, turn on.......WOW I miss those days!!
I still have a 39.58, if someone wants it. PM me and I will send it to you. Can send a pic if you need one.

N4DJC

I agree ! Just go to Rat Shack and order crystal. Wait a couple weeks and go back and pick it up! Like Christmas!! SIMPLE!!
Put in it, turn on.......WOW I miss those days!!
I still have a 39.58, if someone wants it. PM me and I will send it to you. Can send a pic if you need one.

The local Ace Hardware carried a better selection of crystals than Radio Shack! I had a Bearcat III. I sold it to my in laws when we moved to another state.

I saw it sitting in a moving box at their house 25 years ago. I wish I had realized crystals were still available for it. It probably got lost in the move. Oh well, nostalgia tints accurate recollection.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
My first one was a Regency ACT-R10H/L/U. This particular image came from Google, as I don't have any photos of it.

A retired neighbor bought it new and had a guy put crystals in it ... and it never picked up anything, so he chalked it up to a defective unit and put it in a closet. I mowed his lawn when I was a teenager, and he gave it to me one day just to get rid of it. Not knowing anything about scanners but interested nonetheless, I took it to a local radio shop and asked for help - one of the techs spent an hour teaching me about it at no charge! It turned out that some of the crystals were incorrect for our area and the others were broken (the neighbor got ripped off). The tech gave me a list of the crystals I needed and sent me to Radio Shack ... I had a working scanner that evening. (y) I sold it some years later to help fund the purchase of a used Pro-32. Like most radio guys, I kinda wish I'd kept it. Oh well!

N9JOD

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for posting this. I think we all have memories of our first encounters with rigs that either impressed us or got us into the game. I don't remember that particular (very cool) model, but had several encounters with other GE receivers which I remembered as extremely great in rx and tonal quality. I'm sure firing it up brings back memories of sharing the hobby with your dad. I'm grateful that while my father is still alive we've been able to revisit my youth. I'm about to hook him up with a XTL1500 to monitor his local area public service. I already helped him get his General, and set him up with Motorola DMR, a hotspot, and a dual band Icom I restored from the time we first explored ham/scanning radio. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Just a few months ago we raised a dual band antenna 20 feet which has worked absolutely flawlessly for him.

My best days are when I unexpectedly hear him talking with others on the local FM or DMR repeaters on my way to work and enjoying what I've been able to provide him with

Cutting onions over here....
That is so awesome! My dad started us out by getting us both CB's. I had mine set up as a base and he had his mounted in his car. I was a
blast talking to him on his way to and from work. This surely got me into ham radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.