Scanning Old School Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
Took this GE Search 2Plus2 off the shelf tonight. My dad bought me a GE Search when I was a young kid. That was many, many, well a lot of years ago. A couple of weeks later he walk in with this one for himself. We had a great time listening to public safety back then. He past away 15 years ago and I found this while cleaning up some of his belongings. I disassembled it and gave it a once over to make sure in was still in good running order. After some cleaning of the controls, I fired it up and it is works great. I wish I had not sold the one he gave me.
View attachment 74559
I still hold on to my stepdad's mobile 2meter because of the sentimental value of it. By the way I discovered tons and tons of old scanners on Goodwill's online auction site. They aren't big sellers. You gotta watch out for shipping charges though, not the price- these old things are heavy and shipping runs into some money if you don't estimate it first.

There's this Japanese lady that had the Spark Joy thing, remember that craze last yr or so?? She got people to clearing out all their old stuff- they hang on to things because of emotions or whatever. She had the person "thank" the thing for it's "valuable service" before disposing of it. It sounds kind of fruity but I can see how that mental thing works you know. I think if the old 2 meter of my stepdad's found a really good home, I'd be ok with parting with it. https://www.eham.net/friends/displaystory/1239

I dig your old scanner - is it the kind that takes crystals? doesn't look like the type that does- without googling it, looks like a pretty fine one indeed.

daddyjohn

I've still got at least one of those RCA scanners. Nice radio; the delay feature was pretty ahead of it's time.
Just bought an RCA 16S300 at a flea market for $12 and it works! So it is receiving a fire department on a crystal marked 155.370. Is there a formula to use to figure out what the frequency is that it is receiving? Also , if I wanted to order a crystal to receive 160.260 mhz what formula would I use and what should the frequency say on the crystal? Thank you.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Crystal frequency will be the desired frequency either plus or minus the IF, depending on the model. So if the IF is 10MHz and you want to hear 100MHz, you'll need either a 90MHz or 110MHz crystal.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Crystal frequency will be the desired frequency either plus or minus the IF, depending on the model. So if the IF is 10MHz and you want to hear 100MHz, you'll need either a 90MHz or 110MHz crystal.

But they often use a "third overtone" crystal, so you need to divide that result by three.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It depends on the scanner. Consult your user manual, if you can find it... :D

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
There was a local commercial radio store, and my job allowed me to make purchases at wholesale. If I remember correctly. a crystal ran around a $1.25 and I have my crystals but only one old scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.