Scanning P25 and CONV at the same time with BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vysiontech

Feed Provider
Looking to see if it is possible to scan a P25 system and a CONV at the same time with BCD996P2.

I have them both loaded in and can scan them individually but would like to have them all kind of roll in sequence. Our local town has a university with a police force which has co-jurisdiction with the city and they are not on the P25 system. I want to be able to provide listeners with the entirety of PD, Fire and EMS for the city.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
No there isn't but whistler/gre will allow you to program talkgroups and conventional channels in the same scanlist. Uniden does not allow this behavior on there scanners trunked and conventional systems need to be programmed in separate systems although they can share a quick key. Also why do you want to stream your local police for all to hear? Remember when they throw the encryprion switch because they are tired of the feeds you will no longer be able to hear them either just a a little something to think about before you go and set up that steam.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If the P25 system is a trunked system, it cannot be programmed in the same "Scanner System" as conventional frequencies. (Yeah the "System" word is used a lot but there are several contexts). I'll assume it is though conventional systems can also be P25 since P25 is more of an architecture for digital radio "stuff".

A couple of things to try. One is to use the same System Quick Key for both the trunked and conventional. Then for the trunked system use a 0 Delay time and a 0 Site Hold time. Then on your conventional frequency, also set a 0 Delay time for the conventional system.

That should get you the shortest time between the cessation of transmission on one system and starting to monitor the other system. However, this is a "becareful what you wish for" situation. You could end up missing replies on System A because the scanner is almost immediately jumping to System B.

If you question was "can you listen to two different things simultaneously" no you can't - no scanner does that.

Some form of priority scanning won't work either because two different types of systems may be involved trunked and conventional.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To clarify, since you got some very literal interpretations to your original question.

You cannot "simultaneously" scan more than any one thing (true). However, you can program the scanner to include both trunked p25 and conventional systems in the things it is currently scanning (those things will be scanned one after the other...not simultaneously).

Just enable both systems for scanning and they will be scanned one after the other.

treydawgmt

Premium Subscriber
No there isn't but whistler/gre will allow you to program talkgroups and conventional channels in the same scanlist. Uniden does not allow this behavior on there scanners trunked and conventional systems need to be programmed in separate systems although they can share a quick key. Also why do you want to stream your local police for all to hear? Remember when they throw the encryprion switch because they are tired of the feeds you will no longer be able to hear them either just a a little something to think about before you go and set up that steam.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here. Up here in Illinois, while some cities are encrypting, multiple dispatch centers or cities are hosting official feeds at their centers to broadcast to the public! It's not as simple as people make it out to be, and we the people control the government so if your local entities do something you don't agree with start a petition, attend meetings, offer reasons to keep the airwaves open, etc!

plaws

Premium Subscriber
A couple of things to try. One is to use the same System Quick Key for both the trunked and conventional. Then for the trunked system use a 0 Delay time and a 0 Site Hold time. Then on your conventional frequency, also set a 0 Delay time for the conventional system.

Been doing this since my BCD396T (UASD 4-evah!). Quickly realized that I could put any of the 3 or 4 systems that the Chicago FD was then using (VHF-by-god analog-by-god, two different 800 MHz Type IIs, and a UHF Type II - this was >10 years ago) *under the same system quick key". Nope, they aren't the same "system" in the scanner but putting them all under the same SQK approximates a "bank" from the olden days.

Back in BC780XLT days (pre-DMA), you could put conventional channels in a bank that was set for trunking, but that technique is obsolete in DMA radios.

vysiontech

Feed Provider
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll see about setting the QuickKey. As for why I'd want to do both, the local college changed over to a university recently and created a police force. They have shared jurisdiction in the city and as such I'd like to be able to monitor both the city and the university police. I was referring to scanning them sequentially and not in parallel, I presumed the scanner wouldn't be able to do that just due to the frequency differences and the fact that the 996P2 is a single scanner.

Thanks everyone for your assistance I'll report back once I've tried the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.