• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scanning Provoice digital radio systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

APORATH

Many cities/counties/states/entities that have trunked radio systems will sell radios on that system, with transmit features disabled and a limited channel/talkgroup list, to media agencies. That's how it's done here - the local media has portables that have no transmit capability, and only the main fire/police/EMS dispatch talkgroups, and no tac channels, special operations channels (i.e. tac team/SWAT/drug unit/EMS hospital patches/etc), and so on. This also allows the radio system operator to deal with an agency that misuses the "power" of having a radio... a quick command on the controller will turn that radio into a paperweight awfully fast... :D

Does your area use 100% encryption? just curious. My area is upgrading to a P25 system, and I don't know if the PD is going to use encryption or not.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Does your area use 100% encryption? just curious. My area is upgrading to a P25 system, and I don't know if the PD is going to use encryption or not.

No, all the dispatch channels are in the clear. The special units like vice, auto theft task force, drug unit, gang unit, etc., are using either selectable encryption or full time encryption, but the media radios don't even have those talkgroups programmed in, and very very few agencies if any have scanners, P25 or otherwise.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify an issue I see on many threads about EDACS/ProVoice/Aegis trunked radio systems:

EDACS may have an End of Life for support starting in 2017, however a number of systems worldwide plan to remain on the air after that date. An "end of life" simply means the manufacturer will no longer provide support for that type of system as of the specified date. It does NOT mean that you can no longer use that type of radio/system.

Hope that clarifies this issue a bit. :)

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
I know the local county agency using EDACS around here is considering going to the county P25 system or going MotoTrbo

If you are referring to Middlesex County New Jersey. The answer is Project 25 Phase 2 TDMA. Migration is slowing happening now. When I say slowly I mean slowly. Tactical Public Safety ( who is contracted by the county to do maintenance on the Couny EDACS as well as upgrades) is in the process of starting to buildout and convert the analog/ProVoice EDACS system to P25 Phase 2. This migration will take a few years to fully implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.