Scanning Tahlequah, OK Was: PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunkJunky

I live in Tahlequah, OK 74464 I'm not versed in scanning stuff but I've listened to a BC350a scanner for years loved it worked great then one day it quit picking up. So i bought a new scanner a BC355n plugged in in nothing.. Do I need to buy a digital radio?? All I know how to do is attach an antenna turn it on and click the police button. Please some one advise me what to buy. I looked up Tahlequah, OK Cherokee County and it says
Project 25 Phase 1 please help all I'm INTERESTED IN LISTENING TO IS POLICE.. Hope everyone has a blessed day and any help I will be forever grateful!! wwg1wga

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
You might want to move this to the Oklahoma forum for better advice, just hit the Report button and ask for it to be moved.

The database does show VHF (non-digital) frequencies for Tahlequah and Cherokee County, but not being from the area I don't know if that is still correct. If it is you should be able to hear them. Cherokee Nation is on the OK trunked system though and you will not be able to hear them.

That said, model BC355N is not suitable for trunking or digital radio system monitoring. If you live in an area where trunking or digital radio systems are used, you need to upgrade to a Uniden Digital model (“D” stands for Digital), such as models BCD996P2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD325P2, or HomePatrol-2.

Last edited:

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
From the lists in the Radio Reference database, it appears odd that the Tahlequah police do not use the statewide P25 system. As stated above, that may no longer be the case so check in the OK forum.

The system you may also want to monitor is Oklahoma Wireless Interoperability Network (OKWIN) (P25) (link). It is a P25 trunking system. The range of the Tahlequah tower is shown on that page. You can see what agencies use this system (here). Also as stated above, you will need a scanner capable of receiving those transmissions.

Just echoing what N1GAW said. ;)

JunkJunky

From the lists in the Radio Reference database, it appears odd that the Tahlequah police do not use the statewide P25 system. As stated above, that may no longer be the case so check in the OK forum.

View attachment 88834

The system you may also want to monitor is Oklahoma Wireless Interoperability Network (OKWIN) (P25) (link). It is a P25 trunking system. The range of the Tahlequah tower is shown on that page. You can see what agencies use this system (here). Also as stated above, you will need a scanner capable of receiving those transmissions.

Just echoing what N1GAW said. ;)
So Do I need a trunking system? The chart above I don't know what that means. I'm sorry for being so stupid on this lingo stuff. I live in an area with no radio shack etc I went to sooner the closest thing to radio shack and they couldn't guide me on what to buy. wwg1wga

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I've listened to a BC350a scanner for years loved it worked great then one day it quit picking up.
Hi there! if you didn't make any changes to your radio's programming then found one day the radio went silent, chances are they moved to another system or (less likely so) even changed their PL tone. If they did in fact migrate to the statewide system then at the minimum you'll need one of the scanners I outlined in green to track it. The scanners I outlined in red will pick up more than the green but are a bit more pricey than what you'll need for your immediate area. Again as mentioned above me, the folks on the Oklahoma Discussion Forum may be able to tell you where your local agency(ies) are operating

Best wishes!

Bob1955

I live in Tahlequah, OK 74464 I'm not versed in scanning stuff but I've listened to a BC350a scanner for years loved it worked great then one day it quit picking up. So i bought a new scanner a BC355n plugged in in nothing.. Do I need to buy a digital radio?? All I know how to do is attach an antenna turn it on and click the police button. Please some one advise me what to buy. I looked up Tahlequah, OK Cherokee County and it says
Project 25 Phase 1 please help all I'm INTERESTED IN LISTENING TO IS POLICE.. Hope everyone has a blessed day and any help I will be forever grateful!! wwg1wga
JunkJunky- Good morning out in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. I used to work for a company in Arkansas and it was right on the OK borderline in Ft. Smith so I drove over the bridge so now I can say I saw the Eastern part of OK.
In any case, that BC-350A is very old, now replaced by the BC-350N for narrow banding compliance(very hard to program for you)-(POOR sensitivity too) required on ALL scanners made after 2006. If you can afford a digital which scanner that's a MUCH better investment but what "cpfinlay" wrote you, it appears that you do NOT need a digital scanner yet. I would HIGHLY recommend a Bearcat BCT-15X for $159.90 from Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland and they can program it for you for $70 along with a software update and alpha tagging too. You can buy a BC-365CRS but that is a plastic casing cheaper radio with a tiny speaker at $99.99 so call Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland at 877-568-7226 and ask for Paul or Melissa. Hope this helps you out.
Stay safe.

Bob1955

JunkJunky- Good morning out in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. I used to work for a company in Arkansas and it was right on the OK borderline in Ft. Smith so I drove over the bridge so now I can say I saw the Eastern part of OK.
In any case, that BC-350A is very old, now replaced by the BC-350N for narrow banding compliance(very hard to program for you)-(POOR sensitivity too) required on ALL scanners made after 2006. If you can afford a digital which scanner that's a MUCH better investment but what "cpfinlay" wrote you, it appears that you do NOT need a digital scanner yet. I would HIGHLY recommend a Bearcat BCT-15X for $159.90 from Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland and they can program it for you for $70 along with a software update and alpha tagging too. You can buy a BC-365CRS but that is a plastic casing cheaper radio with a tiny speaker at $99.99 so call Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland at 877-568-7226 and ask for Paul or Melissa. Hope this helps you out.
Stay safe.
JunkJunky-Sorry for all of my typos as I was doing (3) things at once here. Welcome to NY-Westchester County
I'm (18) miles North of NYC. There is a lot of things to listen to here.
In short, either purchase a low end BC-365CRS but I'll warn you, it has a very tiny speaker and a plastic case with a clock FM radio. You are SO much better off with the Bearcat BCT-15X(They have 1 left in stock) so go to YouTube and check it out as Paul from Bearcat Warehouse put it up. They are the #1 souse to purchase Bearcat from and offer a 30 day money back refund too. Private message me if you need more info on the differences between the cheap plastic conventional only scanner vs. the all metal better scanner. it is a little confusing to text it to you here.
Have a great Weekend.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
So Do I need a trunking system? The chart above I don't know what that means. I'm sorry for being so stupid on this lingo stuff. I live in an area with no radio shack etc I went to sooner the closest thing to radio shack and they couldn't guide me on what to buy. wwg1wga

I would recommend a trunk tracking scanner regardless because if they are not on it and decide to move to it, you would lose them again and your scanner would be useless for your use case.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I lied to you... I must of just heard Tahlequah PD on my scanner and assumed it was still analog.

I went camping over the weekend near Tahlequah and they are DMR on their 154.815 frequency. It is still patched over to TG12 on the Muskogee Communications Cap+ system I linked in earlier post, with all traffic coming over with UID 12012. So it looks like to be just patched to the Cap+ system, at this time.

Tahlequah PD:
CC 7
TG 1
Slot 1

svrstorm

Stay safe.
If you can find a home patrol 1 on eBay that’s the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.