Scanning the 2020 Daytona 500, Thunderbirds fly over, and Presidential visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Couple views here in the Track of T-Birds.. Well done T-Birds.
Guess they will head home to Nellis hence T-Bird 15.. Heck may rain again tomorrow down there.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
You typically won't see CAP (fighter jets) on ADS-B Exchange (at least I don't) but you might see tankers supporting them. EXEC1F, actually it is Executive 1 Foxtrot is the callsign for jets carrying the family members of POTUS (FLOTUS going back to Palm Bch). A few minutes before AF1 departed 09-0015 took off, that along with 09-0016, are backup/decoys for AF1 and you'll usually see one or both traveling several minutes ahead of AF1 but landing at a different airport.

Yeah I saw NATION xx (KC-135) orbiting over the Daytona area on ADSBE at the start of the race which is why I inquired about a possible CAP.

edweirdFL

Later during the race there was a non-military owned refueling plane (I didn't even know those existed before yesterday, it's a contractor) off the coast closer to Jacksonville. I'll be listening and looking for interesting stuff again this evening.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
The air refueling aircraft you saw on the east coast.
N707MQ - OMEGA71
The same company but this tanker is on the west coast.
N629RH - OMEGA79

Last edited:

wtp

Lol. The 455-456 freq’s would simply be the input freq’s, but I prefer to listen to the output of the repeater. Stronger signal.
ok, but i would rather hear the guy in the parking lot on the input than try and listen to a base 10 miles away.
in the new york area, when i lived there i had heard mobiles on 450 and some on the 455 freqs,
they are assigned a frequency and use it as they see fit it seems.

edweirdFL

The media groups bring in their own 450-455 systems to the track and have a temporary setup for the duration of the event. Roof or mast mounted antennas are used and many scanner users attending the race have found that no antenna or a small antenna works fine on location and helps avoid signal overload. In this area (a good distance outside of Orlando) there isn't many permanent bases assigned so during an event once quiet 450 and 455 freqs are active only to go quiet again when the show leaves town.

...active only to go quiet again when the show leaves town.
That's like much else in the region. For example, "Bike Week" rolls out tents and vendors and side shows a few days ahead of the event start, and rolls it all back up after the event. There's nothing left for the locals outside of the event times, except empty lots.

Status
Not open for further replies.