Scanning the 2020 Daytona 500, Thunderbirds fly over, and Presidential visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

edweirdFL

So far I've heard the Thunderbirds flying overhead on Thursday which was media day when they took 2 of the NASCAR series drivers up with them. I didn't capture any traffic on 235.250, 149.650, or 141.175. Today (Friday) I've heard two brief voice transmissions on 235.250 that sounded right, and some carriers being keyed on 149.650 periodically with no voice.

I'll be seeing what I can find of interest on the other radio services from my location about 5 air miles away from the track and include it in follow up posts in this thread. This event normally fires up some normally quiet mutual aid talkgroups and frequencies. It will be interesting to see if there's any noticeable change in the radio traffic in light of the planned visit by the POTUS and FLOTUS on Sunday.

If you are here in town and have some questions or spots or your own, please feel free to share them in this thread.

baj76

Uniden fanboy
Wish i lived in Daytona beach...I loved that city, I attended the Dayton 500 back in 2004 when Dale jr won his first 500 race, It was awesome

gadep

Premium Subscriber
Most of the traffic with the president security will be on the VC communications system but possibly on a special channel and with the general security on a channel and the speedway security doing very tight security but everyone will probably still be on high alert after the recent emergency that happened Thursday and the threats Friday and I know that they will be on very high alert with the president there

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Went thru my recordings this evening while I was at work and it appears the actual Thunderbird 6 ship arrived today as I caught THUNDERBIRD 1 x 6 up this way with Atlanta Center. No a/a’s observed due to not having them activated in the radio because I thought they would’ve flew in yesterday.

N4KVE

Been to the track many times. The best scanning was to listen to the TV camera crews in the 450-451 area. Hey, camera 3, zoom in to the crash in turn 3. Camera 6, zoom in to the pits on the number 8 car, etc. Easy to find, as they are between 450-451 MHz.

edweirdFL

Based on paperwork filed with the FCC and FAA over the past couple years it appears that the system I mentioned here is a deploy-able Mobile Radio System (MRS) owned by the State of Florida and used for special events. It has a 100 foot crank up tower that is raised to the level of existing buildings and obstructions in the area where it is setup. It has FAA lighting that is run 24/7 when in use.

If you see something that looks like this setup in a parking lot nearby, please snap a picture and share it here after you get home from the race.

The four frequency pairs authorized in the various STAs over the last 5 years for use here at the racetrack have not changed.
853.500 / 808.500
856.5125 / 811.5125
852.425 / 807.425
852.925 / 807.925

My research didn't include uses in other areas of the state for different events so don't assume these freqs are static assignments.
This is used for fill in coverage and capacity for the existing statewide SLERS system so I'd assume the ESK and DES Provoice used statewide is also going to be in use on this site. Currently I'm only seeing the control channel on 852.425 and my SDS200 says Sys ID 3Fh I'm not seeing any trunk IDs now but will check again on Sunday during the main event.

Reactions: 902

Wish i lived in Daytona beach...I loved that city, I attended the Dayton 500 back in 2004 when Dale jr won his first 500 race, It was awesome
It's kind of rough when you live there and aren't involved in the race or any of the other events. You have to go out of the way to get away from the venues, extra traffic, and touristy areas to go anywhere.

edweirdFL

Last night as the Saturday race was winding down I confirmed race related activity on the 5 channel EDACS "Event" site that's listed for the county's trunked system in the database here. Talk groups 14-003 and 14-004 were noted in use for coordination of LE personnel supporting the event. I expect them to also be in use today.

edweirdFL

Talk group 14-145 in use on the Event system
Talk group 11-105 in use on the Event system

I've heard activity on the 800 MHz National Mutual Aid Freqs (NIFOG)
852.0125 Interop NIFOG 800 8Tac92 156.7 CTCSS FM
853.0125 Interop NIFOG 800 8Tac94 156.7 CTCSS FM

wtp

Been to the track many times. The best scanning was to listen to the TV camera crews in the 450-451 area. Hey, camera 3, zoom in to the crash in turn 3. Camera 6, zoom in to the pits on the number 8 car, etc. Easy to find, as they are between 450-451 MHz.
and they could also be in the 455 to 456 range.
and you might want to look up wireless mics.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Great coverage on Fox (the NASCAR pre race coverage) of Air Force 1 circling the track then landing in Daytona. Fox’s Nascar coverage is spot on for the flyovers so I hope/expect the TBirds will be well covered.

edweirdFL

I watched the track of AF1 on the ADSBexchange website and could see how a path was cleared for them as they left West Palm Beach and flew North. There's a refueling tanker that made the trip as well now doing some orbits aloft in the area.

A scanned some Federal freqs for a variety of agencies during the flight up and for a while after the landing and as expected I didn't hear any activity.

I found some additional talkgroups on the Event system with activity. (EDACs 5 channel 1 site location listed for the Volusia County system)
09-147
09-150
09-151
11-066
15-130

Some of these are patched from the regular system and it's a way they can add extra capacity and extra redundancy during events.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
The tanker is prob there for the CAP aircraft when they arrive. Not sure which unit is tasked with CAP duties.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Was disappointed Fox opted to show a drivers mirror rather than the flyover, but bet scanner listeners at the track were surprised to hear President Trump come across on the Official's radio wishing the drivers luck before the start, not to mention seeing The Beast as the secondary pace car.

edweirdFL

Looks like I'll get another day of monitoring again tomorrow when they resume at 4pm. I picked up the news on one of the many 450-451 and 455-456 feeds used by the media for coverage. I found a director talking to cameras on 455.150 CTCSS 77.00

There was no CAP seen on ADBSexchange but that doesn't mean there wasn't one in the air. I saw TBIRD15 C17 come in and land shortly after AF1 left to the North. Exec1F departed and went South. 3 private helicopters left and went over towards the Disney area, and a lot of private jets departed and headed North well before the decision to postpone the race was announced.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
There was no CAP seen on ADBSexchange but that doesn't mean there wasn't one in the air. ..... Exec1F departed and went South.

You typically won't see CAP (fighter jets) on ADS-B Exchange (at least I don't) but you might see tankers supporting them. EXEC1F, actually it is Executive 1 Foxtrot is the callsign for jets carrying the family members of POTUS (FLOTUS going back to Palm Bch). A few minutes before AF1 departed 09-0015 took off, that along with 09-0016, are backup/decoys for AF1 and you'll usually see one or both traveling several minutes ahead of AF1 but landing at a different airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.