Scanning the Schools...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
So I had this idea, now that school is back in session, to plug in all the numerous school frequencies in Macomb County, Michigan. My thinking was, I'd get a heads-up on any threats, or shootings that might go down.

OMG! I forgot about school busses! After about 15 minutes, I couldn't take it anymore! Never give a microphone to a woman! :roll:

CrabbyMilton

Here in Milwaukee, the school bus frequencies seem to almost be a continuous broadcast at the end of the school day. The first day is always a blast. After all of these decades, they still can't get it right when it comes to making sure the kids get on the right bus in the first place. But then again it doesn't help when some kids don't speak English or know their name or address.

frazpo

Here in Milwaukee, the school bus frequencies seem to almost be a continuous broadcast at the end of the school day. The first day is always a blast. After all of these decades, they still can't get it right when it comes to making sure the kids get on the right bus in the first place. But then again it doesn't help when some kids don't speak English or know their name or address.

LOL. No doubt about the first day. I never miss that. Like trying to herd a bunch of cats.

elk2370bruce

Just because its a school district doesn't mean that they're smart.

bpckty1

Speaking of smart, some student apparently wanted out of class early, so the fire alarm box at a very large high school was pulled. Should be easy for the PD to figure out who did it, since it was inside a classroom, the pull box ID was monitored at the principal's office, and there were only 25-30 people in the classroom to question.

Can you say, "Someone will be moving to a different, more restrictive campus and possibly having criminal charges filed for a prank?" No wonder the police call these "young Einsteins" "job security."

CrabbyMilton

Yes the first day or two is crazy and fun to monitor but here the turmoil seems to be everyday. They have to have special buses and routes to handle sick and stranded kids. This takes place after the morning run and I'm usually at work so I'll look forward to that on vacation. The sick part I can understand but stranded shows what a joke it is. It even gets funnier because they don't allow kids off of until their stop so many drivers have to do some clean up for the weaker bladder kids. Drivers call all the time asking if they can stop at a fuel station or another school to go bathroom only to be told a stern no. The reasonin is that the kids will just run around and delay things. I guess they would rather deal with parents when kids get home with wet pants.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Bus driver called for help the other day because a kindergarten student would not get off the bus! :roll:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Bus driver called for help the other day because a kindergarten student would not get off the bus! :roll:

And thats weird how? In todays litigious society, I'd call for help also. When I was a bus driver we COULD NOT TOUCH a child under any circumstances. With the only exception being those buses that required an assistant to help special needs kids. Buckling, unbuckling.. Running the wheelchair lift etc.

Kid won't get off my bus, and mom or dad aren't waiting at the stop.. Well, my supervisor can come out and handle it. And he/she can bring the local LEO's too..

rapidcharger

The school buses can actually be pretty interesting at certain times. For instance when you want to know what road conditions are like during something like an ice storm. This past winter we had and ice storm and kids were stuck on the buses over night. There were buses in ditches or otherwise unable to move. Literally hundreds of buses were still on the roads at 10 o'clock at night trying to get kids home.

As far as the schools go.... BORRRRING!
The local HS has about 5,000 students last time I checked... huge school. The radios are quiet for most of the day until someone tosses their cookies and the office calls for a custodian to mop it up. No thanks! But I guess it depends on the school.

PACNWDude

Trbo in use up this way.

The schools up this way went Trbo and left the encryption on. So you need a USB receiver and software to listen. No more Pro-xxxx scanner around here. Still there was a lot going on the first week.

Wally46

Feed Provider
School buses are interesting sometimes, but the one lady bus driver does nothing but ***** all the time. Someone needs to disable the radio on her bus lol

rapidcharger

Schools and school buses are strong contenders in the race to waste.
They change radios fairly frequently even when there is nothing wrong with what they got. Many buses are going digital and in the case of Cobb County, GA, paying millions in subscriber fees to use some company's private DMR trunking network when they have their own repeaters and analog equipment they can use for free. That work well.

If you like what you're hearing, my advice would be to enjoy it while it lasts.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Schools and school buses are strong contenders in the race to waste.
They change radios fairly frequently even when there is nothing wrong with what they got. Many buses are going digital and in the case of Cobb County, GA, paying millions in subscriber fees to use some company's private DMR trunking network when they have their own repeaters and analog equipment they can use for free. That work well.

If you like what you're hearing, my advice would be to enjoy it while it lasts.

That is true. My area the schools have DMR licenses they haven't switched yet I don't know when they will switch I did hear the dispatcher say in May certain buses were getting new radios installed on certain dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.