Scanning Tulsa Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zjrowell

Hello,

I am brand new to this site. I'm not even sure if this is the best place to post this, but i'm looking for a little help. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I own an older model Bearcat trunking scanner (analog). I am looking into upgrading since my current one is on it's last leg. I am really confused about what i should be looking for. I really like Uniden so i would like to stay with them. I was going to go with the analog (BC346XT). But everything i am reading says I should go with the digital (BCD396XT). Does anyone have any experience with either? Are these hard to program? What all do I need to purchase with the scanner, i.e. software? I have no idea what i'm looking for.

I understand that BA Police and Fire are un-scannable. So I am primarly looking to scan Tulsa Police, Fire, TCSO. I would scan EMSA, but i have heard they cannot be scanned either.

Really hoping someone here can help.

Please and Thanks!

plaws

Premium Subscriber
But everything i am reading says I should go with the digital (BCD396XT).

The future is digital. Some agencies think the future is non-P25 digital, but they're wrong and they will come around eventually. :) Get the BCD396XT.

EMSA is P25, but is encrypted so you are correct - you can't monitor them.

N5TWB

Put my vote in with plaws on the 396XT as the scanner of choice for Tulsa County. I have been really pleased with mine. It does a really good job with just the standard antenna, even inside my SUV, and is a real pleasure to use with the GPS capability added to it. It does a good job on the few P25 transmissions I've received so far.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Put my vote in with plaws on the 396XT as the scanner of choice for Tulsa County.

Me too. Except I'm in Norman. More P25 in Cleveland Co that I would have anticipated - little VFDs of all things. But the radio works well (as do my 996XTs). You'll be happy.

Oh, but one thing. Don't try to program it by hand! You'll go insane and hate the radio. Get Freescan or one of the others and use the cable that comes with it and have fun. In fact, it's probably worth a 6-month subscription to this here site just for the automatic downloads (even if you don't subscribe, you can cut/paste into Freescan pretty easily).

Have fun!

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
If you need help programming it let me know, I allready have software installed to handle it and can help you with questions/issues.

zjrowell

Programming

Thanks for all the info/help. I'm hoping I can get this thing programmed without pulling my hair out. I purchased the ARCXT as well as the premium membership to RR. I think that should get me started. If not, i'll definitely be looking for more help.

zjrowell

Up and running!

Yes, thanks for checking back in on me. I was able to get it programmed and up and running. The software, and use of the RR system was great. Everything is coming in crystal clear, with the exception of in the car sometimes. I guess that's to be expected unless I buy a better antenna for my car. I may look into that after the first of the year.

Thanks again!

skatertj

Good to hear!! I have been looking for a handheld and really like the look and size of the uniden but not the price haha. Might have to just go ahead and get one soon! Glad you got it all up and working good though!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.