Scanning vrs Searching

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I do it on 2 scanners the same way and my feed runs on ScannerLive. I don't miss anything
Wrong.

When you split a trunked system into police and fire and scan both copies, when the scanner is scanning the police copy of the system, all fire traffic is ignored, and vice versa.

Scan the entire system once and only, and use service types, quick keys, or avoids to choose what to hear. You will 100% guaranteed miss less traffic.

slicerwizard

When you split a trunked system into police and fire and scan both copies, when the scanner is scanning the police copy of the system, all fire traffic is ignored, and vice versa.
Yep, just like when the first Uniden DMA scanners came out and there was a pitiful talkgroups per system limit - "It's fine, just program police and fire as separate systems and scan both of them!" No, that's not fine - your talkgroup limits suck.

CanesFan95

Searching isn't as fun as back in the day cause of all the obnoxious DMR interference. See, back the in day, back inna dhey, use to be, when the scanner stopped on something, it was an actual voice call. Now, 90% of it DMR digital burst garbage and no one actually keyed up and talking. So you search around and most of what the scanner stops on is trash.

DMR is like the 2nd worst thing to hit this hobby, next to 'E'. DMR has basically flooded the bands with heaps of digital noise and no voice calls. Repeaters that sit there and spew out digital nonsense when no one's even talking.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
DMR is like the 2nd worst thing to hit this hobby, next to 'E'. DMR has basically flooded the bands with heaps of digital noise and no voice calls. Repeaters that sit there and spew out digital nonsense when no one's even talking.

You could always get a DMR-enabled scanner and let the fun resume!

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Searching isn't as fun as back in the day cause of all the obnoxious DMR interference. See, back the in day, back inna dhey, use to be, when the scanner stopped on something, it was an actual voice call. Now, 90% of it DMR digital burst garbage and no one actually keyed up and talking. So you search around and most of what the scanner stops on is trash.

Some of us disagree with you, but to each his own

I suggest learning DSD+ getting to know more about it

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Still lots of analog out there. Aircraft bands, VHF Low bands, VHF High bands. Fed bands. 800 bands. I would agree (kinda) with the DMR usage in the 450~460 band. It all depends on what you are interested in and searching for. Enjoy the hobby.

FedFyrGuy

Premium Subscriber
Spent a number of years over in the desert. Had a scanner on Limit Search most of the time - amazing what you would hear in analog mode on the civilian and military aircraft bands. Also found a strong repeater operated by the host nation military unit on 162.475 Mhz - NOAA Weather Radio back in the States.

CanesFan95

Already been using DSD+ for years. Not the expert, but have the same sentiment. How many times do you click on a wave on the scope and it's all DMR nothing filth and not anyone actually talking.

pb_lonny

I used to be a searcher but with DMR now being common here, I am totally off the VHF and UHF bands :(

Paul

enCrypt

I always forget to search. Just set my BCT15X off searching now and found a new (to me) DMR sounding signal (which I've fed into my SDR / DSD+ system within about 10 mins, great!

Ubbe

Absolutely! I'm surprised more people aren't using SDR's for searching!
In many cases they are difficult to use as they have not enough sensitivity and overloads easily and have a lot of interferencies. When you receive a signal you can never be sure of if its actually transmitted on that frequency. You can use a dongle SDR receiver but really need to run the result in a conventional scanner set to record the audio.

/Ubbe

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
In many cases they are difficult to use as they have not enough sensitivity and overloads easily and have a lot of interferencies. When you receive a signal you can never be sure of if its actually transmitted on that frequency. You can use a dongle SDR receiver but really need to run the result in a conventional scanner set to record the audio.

/Ubbe

My SDR performs better than any Uniden or Whistler scanners I've ever had, and I've had most of them over the years. My SDR was the only receiver that picked up NOAA weather at my home, including ICOM's IC-R8600! Over load doesn't seem to be a problem either, most likely because I'm using indoor antennas. The SDR also has the ability to visually monitor a large swath of the band all at once, then click on the signal you actually want to hear. You can't do that with a conventional scanner.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
In many cases they are difficult to use as they have not enough sensitivity and overloads easily and have a lot of interferencies. When you receive a signal you can never be sure of if its actually transmitted on that frequency.
Not true. If you manually change the tuned frequency, the signal will move in the opposite direction of an actual signal if it's an image.

Status
Not open for further replies.